cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thousands of random files suddenly deleted

Thousands of random files suddenly deleted

ned666
Helpful | Level 5

random.png

Deleted files are completely random, game files/saves, images, videos, project files. The date matches the time when I was online at my PC.

But there wasn't even a popup asking me if I really want to delete all these files, which normally appears if delete attempt is my own.

I believe it's a bug on Dropbox app side. Why?

- It wasn't an accident because files are too random (there is no pattern and they are in many different folders).

- It's not a hacker because from logs I can see that all devices that accessed my Dropbox are my own.

- It's not my system's fault (aka virus) either, because only files in Dropbox folder are disappearing, others remain intact.

I think Dropbox has limits when it comes to amount of files it can handle (which has been proven in the past) and I'm starting to reach that limit which is causing it to act wonky.

I've managed to restore the files, but now I have to re-download 300 GB to my PC 😞 I've scanned the PC with Avira and Avast just in case, but it didn't find anything major. I am on 2 TB plan, don't remember the name.

One of my machines has Dropbox folder on an external drive, could it be the reason?

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

The external drive is 99.999% almost certainly the reason. 

Dropbox cannot delete files without being told to do so. However, and this is the important reason Dropbox says to not use it with external drives, if the drive connects late or disconnects and Dropbox is running it can (not always, just sometimes) see it as a deletion of the files/data and as such replicates that. 

Dropbox has really improved error detection on this but it isnt perfect - as you found out. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?