cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is copying instead of just moving my files

Moving files out of Dropbox now defaults to the 'copy' function

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Starting sometime this week, whenever I try to move a file out of my Dropbox to another location on the same drive, it will default to 'copy' and leave the original still in Dropbox. This duplication now requires that I manually delete the file from my Dropbox if I want to complete the action of relocating a file.

However, if I drag a file into my Dropbox from anywhere on the same drive, it will behave normally and 'move' the file without duplication. Moving files within folders in Dropbox also retains the default 'move' function.

What is causing this bizarre 'copy' behavior and how do I get rid of it? I want the default drag behavior, within the same drive, to be 'move'.

47 Replies 47

cheryls711
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
So this is it? That is such a pain. I think I'm going to look into other options if there's no other solution.

benv
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I uninstalled Dropbox because of this and a bunch of other technical problems.  Switched to Google drive.  Google drive has been working well for me with none of the issues in Dropbox that had caused me to waste hours of time.

jstrmac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is very disappointing and definitely a negative against dropbox. At a minimum, how about we get an "unsupported" registry change that we can make on our own?

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This can't be the long term solution for this issue.

Sguaraus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
@BenDBX Thanks for your reply, but I find it inaccurate: this change in behavior by Microsoft does not affect "any" sync root folder, since Google Drive works just fine as before. Are you going to do something to get Dropbox behavior back to normal or simply accept this awful change by Microsoft? Thank you

OSHBOY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think Dropbox should be finding a clean solution to this as the interface is so clunky and inefficient with this issue.

Lex - Patswerk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Unfortunately this issue is still happening on Mac OS. Holding 'shift' doesn't help to move the folder, it only copies it. Pretty frustrating.

jstrmac
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/change-default-drag-and-drop-action-in-windows-11.2924/

You'll need to reboot after the changes.

Careful with this "solution" as it changes the default behavior for everything on your computer. 

Dropbox folder was treated as a local folder then something changed and it's now treated as a network folder. Default drag and drop for local folders is move and default drag and drop for network folders is copy.  This registry fix changes the default behavior to whatever you want (move/copy/shortcut) but it does it for both Dropbox and Network folders, so therefore be careful with it.

Need more support?