cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving files out of Dropbox now defaults to the 'copy' function

Moving files out of Dropbox now defaults to the 'copy' function

Questions13
Explorer | Level 4

Starting sometime this week, whenever I try to move a file out of my Dropbox to another location on the same drive, it will default to 'copy' and leave the original still in Dropbox. This duplication now requires that I manually delete the file from my Dropbox if I want to complete the action of relocating a file.

However, if I drag a file into my Dropbox from anywhere on the same drive, it will behave normally and 'move' the file without duplication. Moving files within folders in Dropbox also retains the default 'move' function.

What is causing this bizarre 'copy' behavior and how do I get rid of it? I want the default drag behavior, within the same drive, to be 'move'.

47 Replies 47

Walter
Dropbox Staff

No biggie @shin7 - I've just sent you a quick message to have a further look internally, so please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Sguaraus
Helpful | Level 6

Hello, 

I'm using a Win11 PC. Until a few days ago, when I dragged a file from the Dropbox folder to a different local folder (note that both are on the same drive), it MOVED the file, i.e. it disappeared from the Dropbox folder.  Now, when I drag a file from the Dropbox folder to a different local folder, it COPIES the file, and that's annoying for me. Is it possible to come back to the previous drag-and-drop "move" action? How? Many thanks in advance for your help

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sguaraus, can we log a ticket for you and check this further? We can contact you at the email address you see here.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sguaraus
Helpful | Level 6
@Nancy Yes please!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sguaraus, I just sent you an email.

We'll take it from there! ðŸ˜Ž

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

oldjustin
New member | Level 2

Same problem as everyone else here. It seems like sometimes the files copy instead of moving, sometimes they move. Feel free to contact me via email. Using Windows 11 Home Version 23H2 OS build 22631.3737.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @oldjustin - thanks for letting us know about this.

I've just sent you an email to investigate, so please have a look at your inbox, and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jstrmac
Helpful | Level 5

I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed yet. It seems to be a problem for a lot of people.

cheryls711
Explorer | Level 3

This is happening to me as well. I need a fix! Thanks!

Yuikol
Experienced | Level 12

Windows 11

Dropbox v203.4.4857

So before on my machine when I went to move a file out of dropbox onto my desktop it would remove it from my dropbox. I liked this to keep my files organized and limit versions, they are mostly unimportant files too. Today I just noticed that selecting and dragging a file onto my desktop just copied it. I don't see a setting to change this. Did this change, can I change it back? 

Need more support?