cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL MY FILES ARE MISSING!

ALL MY FILES ARE MISSING!

FLHowe
New member | Level 2

I have not deleted anything, and every, single one of my file folders is empty. I had a LOT of important graphic design work in those folders and it is ALL GONE. How do I get it back? I did NOT delete any of it. I have not changed my subscription, or anything else. The files have just disappeared. 

Please help! 

29 Replies 29

Mark
Super User II
Start at www.dropbox.com/help/296

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @FLHowe

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

As a first step, please follow @Mark's advice, so as to look up for your missing files on the Deleted Files page. If you remember any filenames, you may also use the search option on your account to check if any of these files were uploaded. 
Screenshot 2017-05-31 at 11.05.01 PM.png
Do your files show up there? 

Secondly, I'd like to ask you to have a look at your account's Events page, where you have an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders.

Adds, edits, and deletes that happened at roughly the same time are grouped together and these events are sorted by time, starting with the most recent changes at the top of the page. Were the files added there? 

Please have a look at the options above and keep me updated here on the results! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

BenTan
New member | Level 2

Same thing happened to me! I haven't deleted anything and now I have two folders with no content in them which previously had all of my work... I'm absolutely screwed if these files don't return

BenTan
New member | Level 2

I'm missing huge amounts of work out of two folders with absolutely no explanation. I haven't deleted the files and haven't done anything out of the ordinary. I can search for the old folders when I use dropbox in my browser, however when I go to click on the files they say they've been deleted – of which I can't find them in the deleted files section.. This is HUGELY frustrating.

I'm completely screwed if this doesn't get resolved – has anyone else been suffering from this?

Mark
Super User II
Have you followed JaneA's advice?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Hey @BenTan, welcome to our forum! 
I have moved your post here, so we can concentrate our efforts all in one place. 

@FLHowe & @BenTan, have you tried the suggestions offered above by @Mark and @Jane? If you have, and are not successful in locating your files, I suggest you write in to our support team here for further investigation and troubleshooting. Our team will take a look at your account, and discuss your restoration options with you! 

Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

FLHowe1
Helpful | Level 5

As I said, I have not deleted any files at all. So, that option won't help me. I found a contact form for DropBox that I found to submit my issue. 

FLHowe1
Helpful | Level 5

Neither of these work. If I click "show deleted files" the same empty file folders show up, but NONE of the content. The Events folder does not show any history of me deleting these files. We are talking at least 100 files, including the graphic art I created for my son's cause logo. (he is a pediatric cancer survivor) plus three years worth of work for a non-profit organization. GONE. 

FLHowe1
Helpful | Level 5

Did not work. Events does not show me deleting these files. Which I wouldn't have deleted them. It's ALL of my work. ALL of it. Obviously something DropBox did to my account because it would have been impossible for me to "accidentally" delete at least 100 files at the same time. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    aprimhb New member | Level 2
    mychang Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?