cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website keeps pausing my upload

Website keeps pausing my upload

NorthernHarrier
Explorer | Level 4

I just signed up on Dropbox with a basic free plan.  I tried uploading a 7MB MP3 file, and Dropbox keeps pausing the upload.  It tells me to check my Internet connection, but there is nothing wrong with my Internet connection.  Every time I re-start the upload, the website pauses the upload.  I am using a Dell PC, with Windows 10.  I tried re-starting the computer, re-starting Dropbox website, turning off my browser extensions, and turning off my Norton antivirus software.  Nothing helps.  Other relevant information: the upload speed, before the pauses, is very slow.  Dropbox tells me it will take about 30 minutes to upload this MP3 file that is just above 7MB in size.  

How can I possibly use Dropbox, if I can't even upload my first file?

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @NorthernHarrier, sorry to hear about this.

Have you tried a different browser or a private browsing window, to see if that helps?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NorthernHarrier
Explorer | Level 4

@Hannah, thanks very much for your attention to my issue and for your suggestions.  I just tried a private browsing window on Edge, the original browser I tried, and I found the same result.  I then tried Chrome, and the same result occurred - very slow upload speed, then the inevitable pause and suggestion that I check my internet connection, which is fine.  I am now at a loss for any ideas as to how to use Dropbox.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for trying, @NorthernHarrier.

Is it possible to try from a different network/connection, to see if you get those same results again?

Also, which one is your main browser and which version of the browser are you using?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

NorthernHarrier
Explorer | Level 4

@ Hannah, I only have one network connection.  I'm using the latest versions of both Edge and Chrome.  I open each browser on its update page, so the latest versions are automatically loaded when I open each of them.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @NorthernHarrier, odd indeed. As a last resort, can you try to restore the browser back to its default settings and disable any browser plugins?

Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

If it fails again, make sure to grab a screenshot, in order for me to have a visual too. Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

NorthernHarrier
Explorer | Level 4
@Hannah: When I turned on my VPN before signing in to Dropbox, that completely solved the problem. Comcast must be throttling the data flow to/from my IP address. How can I get them to stop doing that?! Anyway, thanks for showing an interest in my issue. Looks like I have a workaround solution. I’m stuck with using it, probably, due to Comcast having a legal monopoly on service in my area.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I'm happy to see that you were able to find the culprit, @NorthernHarrier!

You might want to look into this with Comcast's support team, they should be able to give you some more info.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

NorthernHarrier
Explorer | Level 4
@Hannah: I’m trying to get help from Comcast but after struggling for over an hour with their chat help while begging for a voice call, they aren’t even understanding what I’m telling them about the issue. I’ve been passed to three different chat reps, all asking me to start over. I finally got a promise to have someone call me - but they’re way past the time they said they’d call I’ll try calling them again now, but getting a person to talk to a customer is almost impossible.

NorthernHarrier
Explorer | Level 4
@raman: thanks but I’ve done that many times. It doesn’t help.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Naje L. New member | Level 2
    NorthernHarrier Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?