cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Sharing

Shared link asks viewers to request access. Why does this happen?

skepticalthinker
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings.  I have a shared file set to be viewable by anyone with the link, and I've sent the link to those I want to view the file (see screenshot).  However, when they access the link, Dropbox states they "do not have access to this file" and offers the option to request access, which I must individually approve.  I have other files configured with these same settings, and those with whom I've shared those links can access them without any separate approval.  I don't know why this particular file is different.  Am I missing something?

skepticalthinker_1-1697057076853.png

63 Replies 63

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for confirming this for me @Bm22782 

Would it be OK if we reached out via email to have a further look internally at this point? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

FTP_doco
New member | Level 2
Yeah, this issue is tedious and just not workable. It makes us (the sender) look unprofessional and is just not workable to keep happening.
Time and time again.
Links are supposed to be viewable, as it says on the tin, without requiring the recipient to hassle and fuss over being forced to download an app. I personally cannot stand the web app. I don't want anyone else to have to suffer it either.
The webSITE should be glitch free. It's not. I'm fed up.
Moving to Frame.io!

Bm22782
Explorer | Level 3

Someone w/ Dropbox had been reaching out but haven't heard anything lately.  It had slowed down but is still doing it on the regular.  Very frusturating when our settings are already set up to "can view".  

anniecdigitals
Helpful | Level 6

I've started using Google Drive as this is too frustrating! When I get the chance I'll change all

750 of my listing to Google Drive!

vrdesign
Explorer | Level 3

During the last month I have been experiencing recipients having difficulty accessing file links.

Dropbox is requiring them to ask for permission when sent by email. some but not all.

We are generating the link from MS Explorer.

vrdesign_1-1722350138974.jpeg

vrdesign_2-1722350178550.png

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vrdesign, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Can you please check to see if the link you're creating is a "view-only" or a "can edit" one?

If it's a link that gives edit permissions, it would make sense, if you used a certain email address to invite the user, but they're signed in to a Dropbox account under a different address.

The "view-only" link should give access to anyone, without the need to request permission.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

vrdesign
Explorer | Level 3

Hannah,

Thanks for responding.

How do I determine if it is a "view-only" link?

How best to set that so others inside our company can still edit?

We don't invite the Users from Dropbox. These links are typically sent in the body of an email to multiple people. Some can and others cannot open them.

Thoughts?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vrdesign!

You can see your default sharing settings here, and if you follow these steps, you can change the settings or create new links for your files individually.

However, keep in mind that with view-only links, the recipients won't be able to edit the files; only view and download them.

Perhaps you can send "can edit" links to people that need to edit and "view-only" ones, to the ones that just need to view the files.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bm22782
Explorer | Level 3

I've been having this same trouble off and on for months now with no improvement.  We have trouble no matter if we go thru Windows Explorer or on the website.  

Bm22782
Explorer | Level 3

We have ours set to default to 'view-only' plus we double check it before each link is created and it still gives us the same trouble.  It's been going on for months for my company. 

Need more support?