cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm suddenly unable to create a new folder in File Explorer, even though I'm an admin.

I'm suddenly unable to create a new folder in File Explorer, even though I'm an admin.

shaneostone
New member | Level 2

Hello, suddenly, I am unable to create a new Dropbox folder in File Explorer. It says I need permission. But I've always been able to do this. I have all my dropbox folders in file explorer and can work out of, share, create folders right there. Suddenly I need permission. I'm an Admin. Using dropbox via file explorer is beyond critical for efficiency.

shaneostone_0-1722457050689.png

4 Replies 4

nada_dbx
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @shaneostone - just checking, are you able to right click on the root dropbox folder and see a context menu action to 'create folder and share'?

christy-nelson
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the exact same problem.  Just recently started.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox and am still getting the same message.  Also critical for efficiency to be able to create folders in Explorer.  (I can see the "create folder and share" option when right clicking on the root folder, but it takes me to DropBox online rather than allowing me to work in Windows explorer.)  I am also an admin.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @christy-nelson - thanks for joining the discussion here.

What you outlined is actually expected as it's no longer possible to create folders or files in the root via the desktop app, but you should be able to do it on the website normally.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

christy-nelson
Explorer | Level 4

Well, that very disappointing.  It takes much longer to create folders thru dropbox.com rather than windows explorer.  Why did you all change it?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

christy-nelson Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    nada_dbx Dropbox Product Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?