cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared link asks viewers to request access

Shared link asks viewers to request access. Why does this happen?

skepticalthinker
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Greetings.  I have a shared file set to be viewable by anyone with the link, and I've sent the link to those I want to view the file (see screenshot).  However, when they access the link, Dropbox states they "do not have access to this file" and offers the option to request access, which I must individually approve.  I have other files configured with these same settings, and those with whom I've shared those links can access them without any separate approval.  I don't know why this particular file is different.  Am I missing something?

skepticalthinker_1-1697057076853.png

63 Replies 63

madsvl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
when i click on a link previously emailed to me, it tells me i don’t have access to the file, because i’m signed in under (my email address). this was the address that the link was sent to and the one that’s always worked so why is it now not letting me? if anyone knows ways around this that would be very helpful, thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @madsvl, thanks for reaching out to us.

It might be possible that the owner of the file has created a 'can edit' link, instead of a 'can view' one; can you check with them, to see if that's the issue?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

skepticalthinker
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello again, @Hannah.

I was finally able to get the screenshot you suggested might be helpful here.  It is included below along with some others that illustrate the issue I'm having.

First, as I showed in my initial post, these are the settings for the file in question:

IMG_3776.jpg

It's set to allow access to anyone with the link, and downloads are disabled.

I've shared the link (via email, not via Dropbox's "Share Link" option) with a number of people.  When they click on the link, they receive this notice:

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 7.27.57 AM_edited-1.jpg

(The person who shared this screenshot with me has a Dropbox account, but I'm not sure if or how many others I've shared the link with do—if that matters.)

I have shared many files in this way—as recently as about a month prior to this one—and recipients never had to do anything beyond clicking the link to be taken directly to the shared file.

When I click on the link to determine "Who Has Access" to the file in question, it lists me, plus the people who have so far requested access.  Each is listed as "Can View," but when I view that drop down menu, it notes that these people can download the file despite my disabling that ability as pictured above:

IMG_3775.jpg

Furthermore, from this same screen, when I move from "People" to "Links," it says that "Anyone with this link can view" (which hasn't been the case):

IMG_3773.jpg

I hope this might help to determine why recipients must request access even though I have the file set to be viewable to anyone with the link.

Thanks again for your interest in my issue.

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution

Hi @skepticalthinker ,

Jumping in here as a Product Manager for Dropbox Sharing to help out @Hannah.  Reading through your thread, this is very strange indeed.  You've done everything right and I appreciate your patience in working through what is no doubt a frustrating experience.  The best I can suggest here is to contact support for help.  They'll be able to go through your specific situation and troubleshoot your specific link.  Sharing a View Link with access set to "Anyone" should allow anyone - signed in or not - to access a web based preview of your content, and then from there to take further collaborative action like downloading, asking to join the content, etc.

Jason

paulcardon
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @JasonSilverDBX ,

Hopping in here to add some extra info we've uncovered as it looks like there was a recent update to how "Can View" links are generated.

When you send someone a "Can View" link, it now has a special "rlkey=" field. There may have been a similar access code in previous links that stayed in the URL as you navigated, but the issue we're running into now is that when you navigate into any of the folder structure of a "Can View" link, the rlkey disappears from the URL in the browser address bar, leaving access tied to the browser session, so if you were to copy the updated URL and open it in a new session or send it to someone else or open pages from your browser history expecting it to work, now you get either a "Sign Up" page or a "Request Access" page. This was NOT an issue with previous "Can View" links before this update.

We send out links to partners and agencies that then want to share specific links to specific folders in our links amongst their teams, but this update breaks that functionality and will cause confusion as we get kickbacks like, "our team is having trouble with that link", "we tried to request access", "it's making us create a Dropbox account and we would prefer not to do that".

We actually had a similar wave of these issues when shares suddenly defaulted to "Can Edit" invite links on our Dropbox a year or so ago, and manually switching to "Can View" for each share was the solution that made sharing viable, but this update brings back most of the issues we had with "Can Edit" links.

anniecdigitals
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a few customers that continually get "request access" when trying to open my files via the dropbox link I provide them. Sometimes they can open one link and not another. This seems to be happening to just a handful of my customers. Does anyone know why that would happen and how I can fix it?

Thank you!!

AnnieCDigitals

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @anniecdigitals 

My guess is that they are not logged in to the same email that you sent the link to OR they are using a different machine with a different Dropbox logged in and its picking that log in up instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

anniecdigitals
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's what I thought too, but in an order of 8 with links they all worked except 2 asked for permission so I'm still confused. Any idea where I could find out for sure what the issue is?

Thanks,

Annette

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @anniecdigitals, thanks for posting here! 

I've merged your post under a similar thread, so feel free to take a look around, and let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

anniecdigitals
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks Megan. Yeah, they're all having the same problem I am. Still not sure how to fix it though .... 😮

Need more support?