cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recipient of shared link is being requested to log into Dropbox account

Recipient of shared link is being requested to log into Dropbox account

JW19
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I am trying to share a DropBox link to a folder containing photos, from my MAC (using Monterey OS). I am using the Browser version of DropBox. No matter what I try to do the email recipient of the link is asked to log into her DropBox account.  I have re-read many articles on this problem but I can't seem to crack it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

12 Replies 12

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome aboard the Community, @JW19! Hope you’re doing great. 

When opening the folder settings to create the shared link, are you also inserting the user’s email address or simply clicking on the “Create - Copy link” option? 

If you open an incognito window on your browser instead, and check this link, are you also being asked to sign into Dropbox or can you preview its contents normally? 

Feel free to send me a screenshot of what you see too, and I can take a look. 

Keep me posted.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JW19
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy. Thanks for the help.

It doesn't seem to matter if I added the recepient's email address in the folders settings or not. same result. When I hit the link myself in the sent email, I am also asked to sign in??!!

JW19
Explorer | Level 3

having difficulty taking a screenshot of my MAC screen?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m just asking because if you enter the email address of the recipient, then you’re basically sharing the folder with her Dropbox account, which will require her to sign in by default. 

Can you please test this with a different folder that’s not shared with anyone and click on the “Create and copy link” option without entering an email address at all? 

To take a screenshot on your Mac device, please try pressing the Shift + Command + 3 keys all together.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JW19
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

I tried what you mentioned but to the same results. Here is the screenshot of my new  'test folder' with one picture in it. never been shared with anyone yet. Copied link and mailed to my wife. still asked her to sign into  Dropbox?

test shot.png

Rich
Super User II

@JW19 wrote:

Copied link and mailed to my wife. still asked her to sign into  Dropbox? 

Check your Account Sharing settings. Are the options set to Anyone with link and Can view?

JW19
Explorer | Level 3

Who has access is set to 'people who are invited'

What people can do is set to 'can view'. I will change the access to 'people with link' and keep the 'can view' and see what happens.  Will let you know. Thanks.

JW19
Explorer | Level 3

That worked on my test folder!!!!!  I will now try with my original folder of photos.

Anything to worry about with a preexisting folder??

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Rich
Super User II

@JW19 wrote:

Anything to worry about with a preexisting folder??

Delete any existing link and recreate it, or go into the Sharing settings for the folder and specifically create a Can View link. There are separate tabs for View and Edit.

02381c16738c26be50ba4a2aa78d3261.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    gem40 New member | Level 2
    JW19 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?