cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Files are shown as Zero Bytes

Online Files are shown as Zero Bytes

zolabola
Explorer | Level 3

I am currently on MacOS Monteray 12.4 and using SmartSync (online-only) by default. The Dropbox App version is v151.4.4304 . I noticed that all the cloud files are now shown as Zero bytes. I could still download them (make them available offline) but I remember in previous versions, I could see the size of the files before choosing to download them. Is there some fix for that? I just followed some discussion groups and clicked on "Fix Permissions" under the account tab, which is syncing many files. Not sure if that will fix the issue. Any other tricks to fix this?

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @zolabola, how are you today?

If the file or folder isn't synced locally to the device, it'd make sense that you'd only see zero bytes and not the full size of them. That is expected behavior. 

You can check online to see the size of the file or folder, or download it locally. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

zolabola
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Megan,
I don't think this was the case with previous versions of app or perhaps MacOS. I used to be able to see sizes of remote files before syncing them. Did something change?
Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @zolabola!

This has been the usability of this specific feature, for the content to take up zero hard drive space, therefore 0 bytes. 

Is there maybe a chance that you were viewing a different path, or maybe the placeholder each file or folder holds? 

In any case, I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

If you need anything else, let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tonieads
New member | Level 2

We received an email stating there was a Dropbox update over the weekend. Now ALL of my files (that were synced to my Mac) are showing Zero bytes. I work in InDesign and ALL of the links are broken. Dropbox says all my files are up to date. I went into the account, held down Option and Fixed Permissions and Hardlinks; it did nothing. If I double click on a file, the size and is restored. But, I have 10,000+ files that are showing Zero bytes... which means I would have to relink EVERY single image/file in ALL of my InDesign documents. Please advise ASAP. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tonieads, thanks for joining the discussion here.

Can you give some additional information about the update that was mentioned in the email you received? 

Also, it sounds like you're looking at files that are online only and not locally available to your computer yet. 

Have you tried selecting the files or folders you'd like to have available for local use (like when working in inDesign etc.) by right clicking on them and setting them to be local instead of online only?

Keep us posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

HTDUCK
Helpful | Level 6

I all of a sudden am now having this exact issue. The whole point of using Dropbox and storing files online is to link to them without having to download copies locally and filling up your hard drive. Until this past weekend, linked files in InDesign always worked with Dropbox (without storing them locally) and now all of a sudden they do not.  I am only experiencing this on my Mac running Monterey.  On Macs running Catalina, everything works okay.

Has a resolution/solution been found?

Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HTDUCK, thanks for joining this discussion.

If you right-control click on a file and choose "make available offline" first, does it help?

And have you performed the update on the Dropbox app to Dropbox for macOS on your computer running Monterey?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

HTDUCK
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Hannah -

Yes, I can access files working with them offline, but that's not what I want to do. That would require downloading every single file that is linked in any InDesign file, which would fill up my laptop and defeat the purpose of using Dropbox. 

I know this is a Montery issue as my laptop just updated and broke my Dropbox Links. My other Macs running Catalina work as intended. 

I thought Dropbox was supposed to have a fix to what apple did by now. I read it was to be rolling out by January. Is there a link that I should be going to or a method to force an update for Dropbox? 

Thanks!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HTDUCK

As soon as you’re eligible, you should receive a notification from the Dropbox icon in your menu bar to install the Dropbox update for macOS.

Depending on your current plan though, you may be able to join the beta version instead. Can you please clarify what's your Dropbox plan?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Trappist Explorer | Level 3
    HTDUCK Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?