cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finalizing taking forever

Finalizing taking forever

BobF1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Trying to upload a dng file that is about 90MB in size to my gallery - fter taking the 3 minutes indicated it has been 15 minutes with the screen saying 1 second left and "finalizing"...what is going on?Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 1.20.54 PM.jpg

38 Replies 38

BobF1
Helpful | Level 6

My solution has been simply to not use it.

huyness
Collaborator | Level 9

trying to upload 500 photos for a client and it stops after 30 or 40. i have to sit here and drop only a  handful of time.  i should just switch to google drive.

huyness
Collaborator | Level 9

tried it at starbucks my brother's house, another coffee shop and at home

still can not upload more than 20 files at a time without it interrupting

DOES ANYONE WORK HERE AT DROPBOX????

humb1t
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, Dropbox web version has an issue with files uploader.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Login via web browser (I'm using Firefox 125.0.2)
  2. Open any folder
  3. Try to upload several photos, PDF or other files with several megabytes size.

Expected behaviour:

• All files uploaded correctly without issues

Actual behaviour:

• Only 2–4 files are uploaded correctly. All other files stuck in endless “finalizing” status.
    • As a workaround, seems to be working to close the laptop and after network reconnect, status changed to success with all files being uploaded (sometimes you need many iterations of such actions).

I know that there are already reported issues related to that problem, yet none of them are “solved” — only additional workarounds that are suggested.

So please — don't answer with suggestions to use an app instead of a browser, try another browser, etc. Let this board be open until developers will fix that issue for real.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @humb1t, let's jump right into this!

I definitely hear where you're coming from about trying the app, or another browser (but let's keep that last one in the back of our minds).

I'd like to ask the total size of these files, and how many files we're talking about. For instance: Is it 50GB or more, and are we talking about 20 files or 20K.

I also want to point out what you mentioned in the "Actual Behavior" which is that the upload follows through when you try to close the laptop, and try to reconnect your network. 

Have you ensured that your connection is fast and reliable? I'm simply asking, because that would be a major factor too. Do you maybe use any specific plugins/extensions when using Firefox that could be interfering with this? 

I'd be happy to look into this with you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

huyness
Collaborator | Level 9

just tried uploading 500 jpgs that are 500kb each. it stopped after 44, saying finalizing.  my download speed are 30/20 mbps

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 5.16.47 PM.png

huyness
Collaborator | Level 9

i just uploaded the same 500 jpgs to google drive with no issues.  can someone at dropbox please explain this problem that has been occurring for 5+years

humb1t
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan, thanks for asking — let me answer all your questions 1 by 1.

> I'd like to ask the total size of these files, and how many files we're talking about. For instance: Is it 50GB or more, and are we talking about 20 files or 20K.

It usually for small amount of files (sometimes even 4 PDFs), last time it was 99 files in a size range from 1,9Mb smallest and 68Mb biggest.

> Have you ensured that your connection is fast and reliable? I'm simply asking, because that would be a major factor too.

It's fast and reliable, I am kindly asking you to not try to look for the problem outside of Dropbox web app, because all other applications, even with similar functionality (Google Drive) are working great:

humb1t_0-1715670929320.png

> Do you maybe use any specific plugins/extensions when using Firefox that could be interfering with this? 

No, I don't use such extensions or plugins. Moreover, as I described in work-around section, seems like when you close laptop and Wi-Fi module turns off while system is “sleeping”, after resume issue is not there any more. I think there is a bug in Dropbox upload verification system, where it endlessly tries to check if files were uploaded and synchronized correctly, when connection is stable and by some reason stuck in an endless loop.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @huyness, @humb1t and anyone else having this issue, if you've tried the following and they haven't worked for you, let us know, so we can send you an email, to investigate this further:

1. Use a different browser like Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Chrome.

2. Clear your browser's cache.

3. Try Incognito Mode or Private Browsing mode.

4. Restore your browser to its default settings and disable any browser plugins. 

5. Update your Browser. You can find the instructions here:

-- Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95414?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

-- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-release

-- Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT204416

6. Flush the DNS cache

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    humb1t Explorer | Level 4
    huyness Collaborator | Level 9
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?