cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox removed "Save hard drive space automatically"

Dropbox removed "Save hard drive space automatically"

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I thought "smart sync" was so that Dropbox automatically makes files I haven't used in a while online only.

I don't see a smart sync option on my M1 Mac (macOS Monterey 12.1), but I have "Make online-only" and "Make available offline" when I right click on a file. But I don't seem to have a smart sync option enabled because old files I haven't touched in months are filling up my drive. Aren't they supposed to be changed to "online only" by themselves? They did this before, but now I have to do it manually and it takes forever.

Where is the "save hard drive space automatically" option? I can't find it anymore.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all! 

Just wanted to jump in here, and let you know that the option should be back, and all should work like they used to.

Thanks a bunch! 😎

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Pookeyblow wrote:

I don't see a smart sync option on my M1 Mac (macOS Monterey 12.1), but I have "Make online-only" and "Make available offline" when I right click on a file.

Smart Sync no longer exists in name, but the functionality is still there, and as you've found, those the are Make Online-only and Make available offline options.

But I don't seem to have a smart sync option enabled because old files I haven't touched in months are filling up my drive. Aren't they supposed to be changed to "online only" by themselves?

I'm not a Mac user so the details may be a bit fuzzy, but I believe that happens based on the space available on your drive, and not over a period of time. Files can automatically switch to Online-only when disk space is low.

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Thanks. In the past, they became online-only when they had been inactive for some time. I really liked this. Not for all files, but for most files. I know they changed it so that if you click "Make available offline", the file/folder won't be affected by the automatic online-only option.

My issue is that it doesn't work like it used to. I used to have this option, but I can't find it anymore. Is the functionality removed or is it a bug?

DV87_0-1666721057581.png

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Talked with support. They have completely removed the feature. Totally crazy decision to do for such a beneficial feature.

I have almost all my files in Dropbox. I don't remember which files I haven't opened in a while or not.

I now have to manually find all my inactive files and click "Make online-only" on each individual file / folder.

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Talked with support again and they said the option is removed, but the feature is still there. It's just always on.

My issue is that files I haven't touched in a year didn't go online-only automatically. It could be a third party app messing it up. I don't know.

Visual Rhythm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

is there a way to turn it off? 

I must be wierd and absolutely HATE this feature as it keeps removing things that I want on my computer at all times.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Visual Rhythm, how are you today?

Do you use a Mac or a Windows device? Also, what do you see when you open your app's preferences, under the Sync tab? Is the option enabled there?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Visual Rhythm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

16" MacBook Pro M1 Max

Screenshot 2023-02-13 at 7.34.39 AM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Visual Rhythm, thanks for the screenshot here.

If you keep running low on hard drive space, this feature will take effect, as there's no way to disable it at this time.

I will, however, pass your feedback along to our devs team, so thanks for telling us your thoughts about it.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Visual Rhythm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
1. I can handle my own storage. I don’t need Dropbox to do it for me.
2. I have 1.2TB available. It’s still doing it.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    themoves New member | Level 2
    mattbrunt Explorer | Level 4
    fedeboraxx Helpful | Level 7
    jaohar Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?