cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox removed "Save hard drive space automatically"

Dropbox removed "Save hard drive space automatically"

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I thought "smart sync" was so that Dropbox automatically makes files I haven't used in a while online only.

I don't see a smart sync option on my M1 Mac (macOS Monterey 12.1), but I have "Make online-only" and "Make available offline" when I right click on a file. But I don't seem to have a smart sync option enabled because old files I haven't touched in months are filling up my drive. Aren't they supposed to be changed to "online only" by themselves? They did this before, but now I have to do it manually and it takes forever.

Where is the "save hard drive space automatically" option? I can't find it anymore.

25 Replies 25

Dliver
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes i totally agree, i'm getting more frustrated by the week. Will change over to another service if this isn't adressed

jaohar
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Any updates on when this option will return?

fedeboraxx
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

This keeps happening to me. Dropbox randomly decides to make files online-only, and then I find myself without internet and unable to access my own files. This needs to be fixed, ASAP. It also totally messes up  long renders (like a video export from Premiere) and created "conflicted copies'.

Why mess with an already perfect product? Who asked for this? When will it be fixed?

mattbrunt
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The short answer to your question: Despite Dropbox's assurances, the feature and functionality do not exist.

Additionally, it's very likely that Dropbox will not be implementing a solution for the MacOS—after all, this has been an experienced issue for MacOS users for about 18 months. Dropbox's response to concerned subscribers is to assure the community that the functionality remains intact. This is categorically not true.

At issue is a late 2021 addition to the MacOS called "File Provider." In a nutshell (and rather ironically, considering this topic), the File Provider API was literally designed to facilitate real-time syncing of files between local and cloud storage. Thus far, Dropbox has not implemented the changes necessary to make smart-sync work on the new MacOS. Not to mention the fact that Apple isn't slowing their OS development to wait on Dropbox: In a couple of months, we'll be updating to MacOS 14; Dropbox still hasn't caught up to 12.1.

Think about this, though: Other cloud-based storage solutions are already there. Box Drive integrates seamlessly with the MacOS, for example. Our team saw this as a golden opportunity to go all-in with Google's cloud services. We already leverage Google Workspace functionality, so we decided to run a month of testing on Google Drive, and we've been extremely happy with the result. It syncs flawlessly—and across multiple machines. [One of our issues has been that DB's requirement to make working files offline necessarily changes the pathing for those files. This meant that anytime a project changed hands, it required yet another round of painstakingly hunting down links—at times 50+—in InDesign and Illustrator files.] We've been patiently awaiting Dropbox's update for 18 months. We'll be making the migration to Google Drive this month.

I know it can be a massive pain (we've got about about 4 TB to migrate), and it's easy to persist with the way things are, hoping that the good news of a Dropbox update is around the corner. My question is: For how long have you been patient with the lost functionality? How long are you willing to wait, knowing there are viable solutions already out there? Dropbox's official responses no longer indicate any active development in this direction. No more forum messages assuring the community that they're working on a solution. You'll see that their responses indicate an apparent satisfaction with the current MacOS functionality. Don't waste your business' time. Make the switch, and get back to work!

themoves
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Completely agree, this is costing me to pointlessly waste time managing files and googling for solutions to a problem that shouldn't even exist. I can manage my own storage, and the idea of "low disk space" is completely arbitrary as I have no idea how it decides what "low" even means. This "feature" needs to be OPTIONAL.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all! 

Just wanted to jump in here, and let you know that the option should be back, and all should work like they used to.

Thanks a bunch! 😎

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?