cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstating old shared link

Reinstating old shared link

sullywhacker
New member | Level 2

Hello - I saw the thread on the woman who asked about "reviving" a link from 2015 > the answer being she needed to contact the owner of the link as he/she had set an expiry for that link. I am trying to access the Dropbox of a friend who loaded pictures of our ski trip, also back in 2015 > he shared the link (I have it from an old email) and then, very sadly, passed away from acute leukemia two months later. Is it possible to reinstate that link using my old email?

Thanks 

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@sullywhacker wrote:

I am trying to access the Dropbox of a friend who loaded pictures of our ski trip, also back in 2015 > he shared the link ... Is it possible to reinstate that link using my old email?

No, it's not. Only the owner of the files could provide you with a new link. Additionally, if his account went unused for more than a year, the account and files within it would have been deleted due to inactivity, which could explain why your link has stopped working.

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @sullywhacker ,

Very sorry to hear about your friend, and I can understand why you would want to access those pictures.  I am a Product Manager for Sharing at Dropbox, and while I don't have a solution for you, I recommend you reach out to Dropbox Support.  For privacy and security purposes they will not be able to grant you access to another account's private content - even if it is your friend - but its worth asking what options might be available.

P.S. @Rich isn't a superuser for nothing!  He is also correct that free Basic accounts and content are removed after an extended period of dormancy.  

Jason

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?