cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property.

keithfkelly
Helpful | Level 6

As  multiple other users have already reported over the last couple years, I am seeing many of these error events in my Windows 10 Event Viewer, all coming from the DbxSvc (Dropbox service) event source.

Can you all please fix your desktop client software to stop spamming my event logs with these errors?  This issue has dragged on far, far too long already.  Either stop emitting these errors, or fix the underlying problem.

Thank you.

81 Replies 81

AllanD
New member | Level 2

same ver of Win 11 here, same error...

Foxfan100
New member | Level 2

@AllanD

I got an answer back on this, which is roughly along the lines of "it's a Microsoft thing, and it's not significant for Dropbox (Para. 4 their response below)".

This is the response, and I quote from their email; quote begins:-

"I hope my email finds you well!

The file dbxsvc.exe is a component that we use as part of the Dropbox Sync Experience.

Should you not be a team user, or not sync online-only files, then this file will never start operating. It is, however, created at install for all users regardless of whether you are opted in.

Please note that the issue you are experiencing is technically the volume of times it is writing to the error log, rather than any issue indicated by the process's presence in that error log. In short, due to the way Microsoft categorizes something as report-worthy, we would expect the process to be mentioned in that log 3 times every 24 hours.

At this point, we want to reassure you that everything is working properly and that doesn't indicate a fault.

With that in mind, we understand that you may not wish to see this behavior and apologize if these entries were concerning to you.

We would not recommend attempting to disable dbxsvc.exe. Please note that updating the desktop application or re-installing it will also attempt to re-add this process.

The dbxsvc.exe service will be installed and running as long as the Dropbox desktop application is installed. It is used to either install or uninstall dbx.sys when a user chooses to opt into or out of Sync features.

Finally, If the dbxsvc.exe is not running or does not exist, the Dropbox desktop application will not be able to install dbx.sys, the minifilter to enable Sync features. The Dropbox desktop application doesn't have administrator rights to install or load the driver, these actions are preformed by the dbxsvc.exe service.

I hope this helps. Don’t hesitate to reach out if there is something else you need." :end quote

I suspect that you are a bit like me, in that we both check the Event Viewer regularly, and don't like unexplained Errors piling up in it, especially when they relate to a known process and can be pinned to timings of said process. 

I guess we should be reassured by this response, but I can't say that I'm entirely happy to have dbxsvc continue to deliver this volume of errors, albeit down to a Microsoft foible.

sdrolet
New member | Level 2

Received the error in the Event Log Application, makes the PC reboot when the error occurs.

The general error is:

CertFindCertificateInStore failed with: (-2146885628) Cannot find object or property. 

I have a fresh reinstall using the advance reinstall from this page:
https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall

It was good yesterday, but today, the error starts re-appearing.  What is the next solution.  I can't have my work PC to reboot in Virtual meetings 5 times a day.  FOr now, I quit the application when I start the computer, which defies the use of Dropbox.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@sdrolet, is it alright to log a ticket for you instead, and investigate further? 

We can email you here, if that's OK.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mtbarr64
Helpful | Level 5

Hey Dropbox, 

You guys understand you are getting paid to SOLVE issues, right? That money is to do WORK, not DEFLECT and harass the customer. 

How about instead of following a SCRIPT or YOUR process you just turn on your brain and LISTEN and READ what the PAYING CUSTOMER is saying?

Sad how these people forget the WHOLE reason they are here. They can't even do that.

mtbarr64
Helpful | Level 5

DropBox,

LAZY developers! 40+ years as a developer and assembler coder on Mainframes and PC's I say you need to FIX your CODE.

It is stupid to repeatedly attempt something for a feature NOT used. DUH!

Another reason we are moving to MEGA.IO and other providers. They are actually SPENDING money to develop code, not just pay shills to maintain it while capturing revenue. 

Sad I have to keep on connection for work though. I will work on them to end their business relationship with this kind of support.

Knarf33
Explorer | Level 4

This problem should be elevated to the top of the stack. For me it often causes a complete lockup requiring a hard boot to recover. The system will not even respond to CAD. This is a recipe for disaster. I kept looking for a contributing cause, but after digging into the problem I found there is none. I can't be the only one being impacted in this manner. I would guess that many users with this problem are unable to track it to the source, so it goes unreported. 

XX_kr10n1c_d1srVpt4_XX
New member | Level 2

Brand new Win 11 install, Dropbox causes this issue which causes hard fault / BSOD. Unable to use Dropbox app at all. Replicated on two clean installs.

Switching my business accounts to OneDrive immediately due to this issue. 

GGGG UNUSABLE

CKret
Helpful | Level 5

I can confirm that the problem with random crashes/reboots are due to Dropbox (DbxSvc).

I've never had this problem before and a couple of weeks ago my computer started to behave strangely. I tried to find out the culprit and always at the times when the crashes/reboots occurred then DbxSvc had an error entry in the Event Viewer.
I found this thread and decided to disable DbxSvc and shut down Dropbox.

After I did that then no more crashes/reboots for 4 days now. With DbxSvc on the computer crashed/rebooted 4-5 times per day.
So now I'm leaving Dropbox and moving elsewhere (MEGA, OneDrive).

Thanks for the time Dropbox but your inability to acknowledge and fix this problem is inexcusable.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, thanks for your reports so far.

Our team is looking into this - we'll make sure to keep you posted with any updates! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?