cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is stuck on 'Starting...' on my new Mac computer.

Dropbox is stuck on 'Starting...' on my new Mac computer.

panttaja
Explorer | Level 3

I just used Migration Assistant to move to a new MacBook Air. Clicked on the Dropbox icon in the menu bar - it said Starting. I have uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled it. When I start up the computer - and click on the icon - it says Starting. So far I have waited for an hour. I used Activity Monitor - and it doesn't look like Dropbox is doing anything. No CPU usage, no Disk usage, no Network.

I have tried a couple of different networks (including going in to a Starbucks). The networks were all fine. 

I am assuming there is some relic from the original installation that is causing it issues.

It is terribly frustrativing that Dropbox just displays this one message - surely they realize something is wrong. I have wasted several hours trying - and retrying - things like uninstall and re-install.

Dropbox still works on the original computer - and in the browser. But this unfortunately leaves me with a useless new computer while I wait for Dropbox (the company) to wake up tomorrow and perhaps get back to me.

Mac M3 14.6.1. Latest version of Dropbox 206.4.6506

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m sorry to hear about this, @panttaja. 

When reinstalling the Dropbox app, did you also perform an advanced reinstall

I could also locate your support ticket in our system and I’ve left our team an internal note on your behalf.

Keep me posted for any updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

panttaja
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the suggestions - the advanced reinstall link you sent is for a windows machine. I am running no a mac. I will dig and see if I can find a similar post for my mac.

panttaja
Explorer | Level 3

I found the Mac tab in this post - I will try these items. Unfortunately Dropbox requires me to download the app each time I do this - and I have uninstalled Dropbox a dozen times in trying to solve this. It is tedious. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I definitely see where you're coming from @panttaja.

In any case, feel free to update us once you try out the advanced reinstall steps. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

panttaja
Explorer | Level 3

Unfortunately another waste of my time. I executed the commands in Terminal on the Mac. I then clicked on the download link. This time is downloaded the .dmg rather than the installer. I double clicked on the .dmg file - and it installed. The date on the file is 1979(???) I then ran the app - and I get to the same error - 'Starting...'.

panttaja
Explorer | Level 3

I added another reboot of the computer - after running the commands in terminal. It looks like it may be working -- I now see my folders and it appears to be starting to sync. We will see. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

panttaja Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?