cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are all my files moved to, "Online-only" against my wishes?

Why are all my files moved to, "Online-only" against my wishes?

hdrasin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, Why suddenly do all my dropbox files have a cloud and arrow next to them? I didn’t set anything differently. The Sync feature apparently was reset by the program to, NEW Files-online only-AGAINST MY WISHES. I reset it to Available offline, where it had always been. That did not help-even after I then re-downloaded all my files. Dropbox chat was worthless. How do I get it to stop moving all my files to online-only? Thanks Harry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hdrasin, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that you reset your files to available offline, but that didn't help.

Do you mean that you selected them, then right clicked on them and chose available offline, but that didn't change their status? If not, feel free to clarify more. 

Also, what device are you using currently, and what version of the OS and Dropbox desktop application is running?

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hdrasin, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that you reset your files to available offline, but that didn't help.

Do you mean that you selected them, then right clicked on them and chose available offline, but that didn't change their status? If not, feel free to clarify more. 

Also, what device are you using currently, and what version of the OS and Dropbox desktop application is running?

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hdrasin
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, and thank you for your reply. I reset the files to,”Available off-line” in settings. Thanks to your suggestion, I did right click on all of the files and selected available off-line. I got the green circles with a checkmark back after that. The cloud and arrow went away. Currently, using an iMac with Ventura 13.5.2. Dropbox version 182.4.6427, I believe set for auto update. Thanks very much, Harry

MissAL
New member | Level 2

Did you solve your problem?

I also want to know as I didn't want all of my files moved off my Mac - now I go to burn a back-up disc & it's only a very small fraction of the 8.7gb that it should be - what happens there?

hdrasin
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, yes with help the problem was solved. 

I reset the files to,”Available off-line” in settings.

Thanks to a suggestion, I did right click on each of the files and selected, "Available off-line."

I got the green circles with a checkmark back after that. The cloud and arrow went away.

That took care of the problem so far. I can't tell you why it happened, but it seems to be working properly for the moment.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

Jerome K
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same issue. It's really strange that Dropbox did that by itself, without any notification. Imagine if Dropbox got hacked and lost its users' files - we wouldn't have the files on our drives locally anymore! Very weird. Dropbox: it is strongly recommended that for Db desktop users the files always be stored locally. If local space runs out, the user can decide to go 'online only'. Thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jerome K New member | Level 2
    hdrasin Helpful | Level 5
    MissAL New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?