cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Trying to download a 42.2 GB MOV file, but I haven't been able to download it fully.

Trying to download a 42.2 GB MOV file, but I haven't been able to download it fully.

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,
I've been trying to download a 42.2 GB MOV file for the past two days, but I haven't been able to download the file fully. I tried downloading on my desktop and iphone as well. What always happens is that it downloads at my usual download rate, and once it gets to around 20-25 GB it'll abruptly stop.
I have subscribed Dropbox Plus (the paid version not test version).

Thanks in advance for help.

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ramsi, I hope you're doing well!

I saw that you also posted in our German section. Let me know if you feel more comfortable continuing there, and I'll ping one of the agents to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Now onto what you mentioned. If I understand this correctly, it sounds like you're using our website when trying to download the .mov file, right?

Is this file in your account, or part of a shared link? 

Have you tried a different browser, by any chance? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Megan for the quick reply.

The 42,2 GB video file is in a friend's account. I received the link to download from him.

I used different browsers on both, desktop and iPhone. I cleared the cache and disabled addons.

The download starts always as usual and without any problem, but always interuppts about halfway through (at 20-25 GB). The iPhone even made it once up to 30 GB  and then stopped.

Here you can see the typical download-result. Does it tell something??

File name xyz.mov.part   24,953,415 KB

File nam xyz.mov                                     0 KB

By the way: I installed the Desltop APP, but it doesn't want to start.

Sorry to say, I have never experienced such a difficult and complicated download process with Dropbox, it makes me despair. It's so time consuming and yet without results.

As a reminder, I have a paid Dropbox Plus subscription, not a 30-days test.

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

one correction I have to make: The iPhone even made it once up to 30 %  and then stopped,

not 30 GB.

Sorry.

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

just now, I had again an unsuccessful download attempt on the iPhone. The transfer looked good until it stopped at around 50% with the error message:

Save not possible

No internet connection or

Dropbox server could not be contacted.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ramsi, for such a large file, we'd definitely suggest syncing it through the desktop app, so basically, you'll need to add the file to your Dropbox.

You mentioned that the desktop app doesn't want to start; can you give us some more info about that?

What do you see when you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Hanna,

The Dropbox icon was automatically hidden by Windows (I overlooked it, sorry). Means the Dropbox app was started.

But that doesn't help me much because I don't know what to synchronize with what.

The file I want to download is not in my Dropbox account, but in my friend's account.

My account is empty. Does the file have to be in my Dropbox account in order to synchronize?

If yes, how can I copy the file from his to my account?

From my questions you can see that I have never had anything to do with synchronization before.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ramsi, you mentioned that you have a paid Plus account, that's currently empty.

Is it a shared link that your friend sent you or a file transfer? If yes, then when you're trying to open the content you should have the option to add the file to your account, instead of downloading it locally.

Once you do that, the content will be added to your account online, and will then automatically sync locally since you're using the desktop app. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Megan,

I received a link. If I click on this link, I can watch the video from start to finish on my computer without any problems. Yes, there is also a sign for "Download". If I click on it, the download runs until about halfway through 42.2 GB, then it stops (as I have described so far).

Ramsi
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, I missunderstood. I cannot see an option to to add the file to my account.

Need more support?