cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting in the 'Photos' page

Sorting in the 'Photos' page

makingscrogan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have noticed that the 'Photos' view function in the Dropbox browser and IOS app automatically sorts by using metadata. I suspect it uses "creation date" to group the photos into months or years for viewing.

I have a lot of old photos, where metadata is not available or just wrong. However, the filenames are correct. The format for each photo is like this "2014-04-20 15.30.05"

Is there any way make the 'Photos' area sort by file name?

Or to edit how the Photos area presents itself? It  seems very limited. You cannot add filters or anything.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This sounds normal, since the Photos tab only uses the modification date of the file (which is usually the same as the creation date if it hasn't been edited since).

What you could try is to search for an app, service or script that can edit files by changing the modification date to the current filename (assuming it's correct). A brief search found several options. 

The files would need to be local on your machine to do so, but after editing the modification date and allowing it to sync to Dropbox, it might change their sorting order on the Photos tab.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @makingscrogan, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Currently, it isn't possible to change the default sorting method of the Photos tab. 

Do these photos have the correct modification date when opening the file, or a more recent one?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

makingscrogan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hello. Thanks very much for your response.

The photos have a “too recent” modification date and creation date.

The best example is an old physical photo that has been scanned. The metadata will not match the actual photo date.

I guess to summarize - Dropbox can seemingly can only sort by “creation date” when viewing all photos in an ‘album format’.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This sounds normal, since the Photos tab only uses the modification date of the file (which is usually the same as the creation date if it hasn't been edited since).

What you could try is to search for an app, service or script that can edit files by changing the modification date to the current filename (assuming it's correct). A brief search found several options. 

The files would need to be local on your machine to do so, but after editing the modification date and allowing it to sync to Dropbox, it might change their sorting order on the Photos tab.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    makingscrogan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?