cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Dropbox completely from my computer

Remove Dropbox completely from my computer

ColinD
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Removing Dropbox from my computer is proving to be a nightmare. My computer Operating system is Windows 10.

I have managed to un sync from my account and deleted all the folders concerned in my Dropbox account. 

On my computer the Dropbox folder is located C:\Users\dough\Dropbox and it contains a "PC" folder in which contains Desktop, Documents, and Downloads. 

Whenever I uninstall or delete the Dropbox folder I lose all the content from those folders Desktop, Documents, and Downloads. 

I have no need for Dropbox and wish to remove it completely from my computer, would you please explain to me how to do this.

I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.  

27 Replies 27

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes the same thing happened to me when I remove dropbox I lost all my folders desktop and documents and they’re in dropbox now and I can’t get them. He tells me the hover over the folder and then do”…” eclipse … which I don’t know what it is I googled it but I couldn’t get a straight meaning on how to do that function. I do have a feeling that dropbox just want to own all our data it’s really hard to get anything back, my files all got sucked up into dropbox in the first place without me even knowing what was happening and I couldn’t get them back.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Janinec, thanks for posting here!

Do you have an open ticket with our Support team about this? If so, can you send it to me here so I can locate it on our system? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Megan,
I have emailed for support but no answers. Someone told me I can search for a file and download it…. But seeing there are 4000 and I want them all back that’s gonna take a very long time and I did read on one help page that you can just get them back when a time. I don’t understand I saw rewind app that I had to pay for which is unfair. I got an email telling me that they were gonna delete it after a certain time which isn’t very far away all my data.I feel there is something very wrong with this situation I would like my data to all be given back to me…. Which I never knowingly asked to have it taken, no no support tokens offered to me. Janine

FrustratedUserB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for this. I assume that I will need to re-install Dropbox first. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @FrustratedUserB, yes, the Dropbox app will need to be installed, so you can follow these steps.

As for you @Janinec, can you maybe tell us a bit more about your issue?

Have you followed the steps here to disable our backup feature, after realizing that your desktop and documents folders were backed up to Dropbox?

What troubleshooting have you done so far? Any additional info would be really helpful.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Gosh I don't really want to reinstall it as it seems like a virus that controls all my files. I lost so many to drop box and Im unrecommending it to men friends.....the prices  to get my own files back I never gave permission to give is ridiculous and extremely time consuming. I really think there are some ethical problems with the ways its operating.  I guess I have no alternative but to sit for hours longer trying to figure out how to get MY files back.

regards

Janine

Janinec
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't want to install the app - is there any other way? can't I do it from the website? please send me the instructions...

also I have lost 3 folders from the lap top desktop, photos, documents and downloads....its ridiculous..... I just want all my files back and to close off. I hope. you can assist me to do this?

regards

Janine

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Janinec, could you clarify what your issue is exactly? Are the files missing on the computer or the site directly?

Are you able to recover the missing files from the deleted files page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Janinec Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    FrustratedUserB Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?