cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently added files do not show up as recent (but are visible when I drill down)

Recently added files do not show up as recent (but are visible when I drill down)

sampodog
Explorer | Level 3

This has been going on for years. I share a Dropbox folder with one other person. When he puts new files in a sub-folder, I get no notifications. ZERO. Not on my phone, not on my laptop. OK, that's annoying, but it's not the *real* issue. Because I haven't gotten notifications for all this time, I check my Dropbox folder daily to see if new files have been put into my Dropbox. I check on my mobile, and also on my laptop. Here's a screenshot showing that the folder "01..." has not been updated since April 18th. Yet, there are NEW files in there. I did not know this, because in addition to no notifications, when I sort by "Date Modified", this folder does not show up on top because it seemingly hasn't been modified. But when I open the "01..." folder, I see the second screenshot In that screenshot, I can see 3 new files were added yesterday (July 10). Why doesn't the folder above show that this folder has been modified?

I do realize that I can change the View Options on the folder to allow me to sort by the "date last opened", but that's now that I want. I want to know when new items have been added, or old items have been changed. I reinstalled the Dropbox app on both my laptop and my phone, and the problem still exists.

Dropbox 1.png

Dropbox 2.png

Here's a screenshot from my phone, showing that "Recents" also fails to show me the latest files. In fact, I can't find them *at all* in the recents view, even if I go back to April. BUT, I can find them by going to the specific folder.

 IMG_6144.PNG

IMG_9000BD74FCD8-1.jpeg

So to be clear, this problem is not about syncing. When he adds a file to Dropbox, I can see it, IF I KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR IT. But all bets are off if I just ask Dropbox to show me the latest files that have been added. Help!!!

 

 

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sampodog, welcome to our Community! 

So, we've identified the Recents & date modified problem that you seem to be having on your mobile app, and the desktop app. 

However, I'd like to see a few more screenshots of the web, and how the same shared content shows there. Are you able to see the new added files, when checking your Recents online?

What about the modified date?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sampodog
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 6.33.02 PM.png

 

Hi Megan,

Thanks for checking into this. Here's a screenshot of the enclosing folder on the web. At the bottom you can see that folders below that have no date next to them, so they aren't showing that they've been updated...that means one can never notice when something new has been added to one of these folders via the "recent" sorting algorithm...

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sampodog, thanks for all the screenshots! 

Keep in mind that for the website, it's expected not to see a date next to the folders. As for the modified date of your folders locally on the device, as you pointed out this is determined by the OS and you can change it to last viewed instead. 

However, it is expected for the newly added content in these shared folders, to show under your Recents. Let's see what we can find together on this. If you locate your little Dropbox icon on your menu bar, and click on it what do you see in your Assistant tray? Any info or sign of the files there? 

One last thing about the notifications: can you make sure you have everything enabled both under your account settings, and locally on the app

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sampodog
Explorer | Level 3

No Dropbox icon on the menu bar. I think it's "full," as I've got a lot of other icons there. Notifications are on both on the account and my phone. Here's a screenshot of my account settings...

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 3.59.54 PM.png

and one from my phone:

IMG_918557258AD9-1.jpeg

 

sampodog
Explorer | Level 3

I do get emails telling me about new files added to Dropbox, but they come days later since they are sent weekly.

Screenshot 2023-07-13 at 4.07.14 PM.png

 

 

EvanDBX
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sampodog, sorry for jumping in!

Could you try following the folder using these steps and let me know if they help?

Also, if you do not see a Dropbox icon on your menu bar, that means that the Dropbox application might not be running or might be hidden. You can try finding it and then clicking it to check if you can see your recent activity from there.

Keep me updated!

Evan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sampodog
Explorer | Level 3

When I launch the Dropbox app on my Mac (2021 MacBook Pro M1 running Ventura 13.4.1), it just brings up the Dropbox folder in Finder. I see no Dropbox icon in the Dock or in toolbar. But I'm able to see Dropbox running when I launch ps in a Terminal window:

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 10.03.55 AM.png

There seem to be a bunch of Dropbox processes, actually.

sampodog
Explorer | Level 3

OK, after a reboot I see the Dropbox icon in the menu bar. No joy, here is the screenshot...

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 10.46.28 PM.png

 Would love to get some clarity as to why I'm not seeing notifications, and of course why "recent files" doesn't show my recently modified files...thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sampodog, thanks for the added info! 

Can you clarify if you followed the steps that Evan provided, in order to follow said folder? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sampodog Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    EvanDBX Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?