cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem playing phone call recording from Call Recorder ACR

Problem playing phone call recording from Call Recorder ACR

Sidney S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have Call Recorder ACR app on my mobile phone. I've linked to Dropbox to store my phone recordings. They appear in Dropbox after each call but I can't get them to play on Windows Media Play although it supposedly supports 3GP and MP4, both of which I've tried. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I can't get them to play on Windows Media Play although it supposedly supports 3GP and MP4

File types (extensions) don't matter too much. It's the codec used to encode the video that matters most, and different codecs can (and often do) use the same file type. If you don't have the appropriate codec for your video installed then you won't be able to play it.

Personally, I prefer to use VLC over Windows Media Player. It has the ability to play nearly everything you throw at it because it has a large number of the required codecs built-in. Media Player, on the other hand, only supports a limited number of codecs out of the box.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

When you "play' via the Dropbox website you actually are seeing a "Preview" file. These are in a different format from the original and some browsers will not play them. Instead of using the web browser, play the files directly from your HardDrive's Dropbox folder. To locate the folder look in <icon> "Preferences"Account Tab"Location" and put a shortcut to that location on your desktop.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I can't get them to play on Windows Media Play although it supposedly supports 3GP and MP4

File types (extensions) don't matter too much. It's the codec used to encode the video that matters most, and different codecs can (and often do) use the same file type. If you don't have the appropriate codec for your video installed then you won't be able to play it.

Personally, I prefer to use VLC over Windows Media Player. It has the ability to play nearly everything you throw at it because it has a large number of the required codecs built-in. Media Player, on the other hand, only supports a limited number of codecs out of the box.

Sidney S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you. I understand what you're saying about playing files from my hard drive. But I don't seem to fnd the Dropbox folder per your instructions above. Can you give me more specific instructions? thanks

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

You'rewelcome. DB has made the process different: on a PC, click on the dropbox icon in the task bar.  A window appears. At the top right there is a <gear>. Click that an a dropdown menu appears. Select "Preferences" from that, then the "account" tab, and look for the location of your dropbox there. Copy that location and create a shortcut on your desktop to that location. 

Could they make it any harder for first time use? Probably, but all they realy needed to do was to create that shortcut upon installation.

By the way, you must name the shortcut "My Dropbox" or "Sidney's Dropbox" 🙂 because if you name it just "Dropbox" a re-install is liable to replace the shortcut!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There's no need to go through all of that just to get to your Dropbox folder.

Double-click the "Dropbox" icon that's on your desktop. If Dropbox isn't running, it will launch it. If it is running, it will open your Dropbox folder. Also, double-clicking the icon in your system tray will open the folder location, as will clicking the icon once and clicking the folder icon.

Sidney S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks to all for the help! Very much appreciated.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Rich, Thanks for "If Dropbox isn't running, it will launch it. If it is running, it will open your Dropbox folder." because others have complained that drag-n-drop onto the shortcut didn't work - now we can see why. Question is, if db is running, will dragn-n-drop on the shortcut work?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Question is, if db is running, will dragn-n-drop on the shortcut work?

Yes, it will. It takes a second or two longer than dropping on to a regular shortcut to the folder, but it still works just the same.

Sven P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, small issue, also with Call Recorder ACR Pro - all of a sudden dropbox asks me to give the file a name - .amr files are being saved as text.files. Strange! Any tips?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

calledhandid New member | Level 2
    ChahatRaj New member | Level 2
    Sven P.1 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?