cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No longer to open a file in Excel

No longer to open a file in Excel

Steve Braff
Explorer | Level 3

When I click on a dropbox link for an excel file that is embedded in an MSWord document I can no longer open the in the native Excel application residing on my Mac. It used to give me  the option to either open in Excel or open in Excel for the web. Now per the picture attached, the only option showing is "Excel for the web". How do I reset so I can access both options. Thanks! 

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 4.32.07 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey Steve, no worries! I removed your previous shared link, so that it wouldn’t generate too much traffic leading to banned links on your Dropbox account. 

About the last part of your post, you can check all connected apps here

Now, when using Chrome and Safari, did you make sure there are no plugins/extensions enabled? The issue you're experiencing may be the result of a security setting or a plugin that you have installed on your browser.

Finally, what’s the app version of your Dropbox desktop app?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Steve Braff - thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to our Community!

May I ask if you're getting any different results after clearing your browser's cache or on another browser?

Is the file you're trying to open locally on your computer available for use? Is the Dropbox desktop app running and syncing normally in your menu bar?

Do you get the same results if you navigate normally to the file instead of clicking on the link from the doc you mentioned?

Any additional information is more than welcome, Steve. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Steve Braff
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Water and thanks for getting back to me. Pls see my responses below in bold. Thanks. - Steve

May I ask if you're getting any different results after clearing your browser's cache or on another browser? Doubt this is a browser issue. My intention if to regain the option to open in Excel on my MAC vs on the web. As you read on I'll further explain. 

Is the file you're trying to open locally on your computer available for use? Is the Dropbox desktop app running and syncing normally in your menu bar?

Do you get the same results if you navigate normally to the file instead of clicking on the link from the doc you mentioned?

Any additional information is more than welcome, Steve. 

Steve Braff
Explorer | Level 3

Sorry Walter. New to this interface and must of accidentally hit send. Will try again. 

May I ask if you're getting any different results after clearing your browser's cache or on another browser? Doubt browser issue. Just want to regain option to open excel file on my MAC vs "Excel for the Web".

Is the file you're trying to open locally on your computer available for use? Yes Is the Dropbox desktop app running and syncing normally in your menu bar? Yes

Do you get the same results if you navigate normally to the file instead of clicking on the link from the doc you mentioned? No. File on my MAC opens fine when I click directly on the file vs the link.

Any additional information is more than welcome, Steve. Yes- here's another way to get a handle on my issue. Try click this link:  [removed per Community Guidelines]  and send me a screen shot of what it opens to. Thanks!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, Steve. I’ve removed your link from the forum due to security reasons. 

Regarding your post though, there’s one more thing I’d like to clarify; you mention that this isn’t happening when opening the file directly from your Mac device. This file is saved within your local Dropbox folder and not outside of it, correct?

If yes, have you also followed all the steps mentioned here

Also, did you get a chance to test this out via another browser, like Walter had suggested? This step may help us isolate the issue more.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Steve Braff
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy and sorry for my delayed response. Jammed.

To your note above, what was the security issue? You have an option above (looks like two links in a chain) to insert a hyperlink. It would save us a lot of time if you could see what I'm seeing on screen. If necessary I can take a string of pictures. Please advise.

And yes- no problem when I open the file from my Mac device saved on my local Dropbox folder.  Note that the file is also stored online with Dropbox as is the case with most all my files. Unfortunately, just noted that I am now also having this same problem with my Word files. As documented in the picture attached, when I click on a link I've embedded in a Word document that resides on my Mac and is also stored online with Dropbox (see highlighted text in picture # 1 attached <used our correspondance as an example>) it  bringings me to picture #2 attached which no longer gives me the option that I've used for over a year to open to Word (and Excel) on my MAC vs "Word for the Web". 

I browsed the steps mentioned in your link and doesn't look like the suggestions made would apply to my problem.

I changed my default browser from Google to Safari. Per picture #3-  slightly different presentation but still no option to open on my Mac vs on the web.

So what do you suggest? As currently functions I click on the link, choose the open in web which is the only option I have. Then I have to copy the file name and paste it into Finder to open up the file on my Mac. Ugh.

One final thought on my end- I received an eMail on May 26 from Dropbox stating- You've connected a new app to Dropbox.  Goes on to say that the app is Microsoft Office Online.  I recall doing that when I was trying to resolve this problem. Any chance that's the source of the problem. If so, how do I disconnect?

Thanks!

Picture #1.pngPicture #2.pngPicture #3.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey Steve, no worries! I removed your previous shared link, so that it wouldn’t generate too much traffic leading to banned links on your Dropbox account. 

About the last part of your post, you can check all connected apps here

Now, when using Chrome and Safari, did you make sure there are no plugins/extensions enabled? The issue you're experiencing may be the result of a security setting or a plugin that you have installed on your browser.

Finally, what’s the app version of your Dropbox desktop app?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Steve Braff
Explorer | Level 3
Came up with an alternative. It’s easier than trying to resolve this and actually saves me keystrokes so closed this out. Thanks for your help.
Need more support?