cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Large Word File Not Opening

My .docx can't be previewed when using my iPad or iPhone.Is it too long, and why is this happening?

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi everyone, sorry for the outburst, but it's absurd that an application like Dropbox has such a significant limit for those who work with word files of over 1000 pages. In my case, I have a file of about 1500 pages in word format, and the DropBox application on both the iPad and the iPhone cannot open it, but only displays a preview, which once clicked, does not allow me to see it. summary, thumbnails, nothing else, just a scroll down, between the top with overlapping writing. Reports to Dropbox are of little use because they are always ignored. It's really frustrating not being able to see the file as you want just because it has more than 1000 pages, I'll start by saying that it only weighs 15 MB, so I find it absurd.

image.jpeg

 

image.png

 

19 Replies 19

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4

It is important that you do not forget to provide an answer, for me it is really essential to work with a word file rather than a PDF, which would cause me enormous inconvenience

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, I note with great sadness that you frequently release updates, but without ever solving the problems reported to you, as has also happened in the past. It's a real shame because not solving the problems that are reported means that you don't care if people use a certain application and this does nothing but damage your reputation. Large companies are able to grow because they listen to people's feedback, accept advice and try to solve problems when they arise. Just to give you an example that you don't listen to us users of the application, because if we propose to add a 50 GB or 100 GB plan like all clouds we are never listened to? In the past I had given the idea of ​​giving the possibility, within the application itself, of highlighting words from the test, as usual you replied that you had forwarded the feedback and today, years later, none of this exists, yet this function is there in some cloud. In any case, I am very disappointed and I think I will delete the application. Thank you and good day

AngeloMangione
Helpful | Level 5

I have also seen other users who have reported a similar problem, I wonder if it is normal that I cannot view a simple Word file with 700 pages, of 1.4 MB. It's absurd, I followed all the guidelines present and I also read in the community, there is no solution to this absurd bug and an update that corrects the problem is never released, but what assistance is there on Dropbox, does it exist?

IMG_2824.PNGScreenshot 2024-06-23 alle 17.21.52.pngScreenshot 2024-06-23 alle 17.23.00.png

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

Our engineering team has implemented a fix. Can you try opening your Word files again and let us know if you're still receiving an error message? Thanks so much!

Regards,

Ben

Richardo
Explorer | Level 4
I updated the application and tried to open the files, unfortunately the problem persists. I also tried deleting the file from Dropbox and putting it back on Dropbox, it still DOESN'T open. Please report the problem to the engineers, it is important to solve it!

AngeloMangione
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, I still have the same problem with the file. Still won't open, same problem. But are they sure they've solved it? Let the engineers know that the problem persists

Riccardo3
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, but is there any news on the problem of viewing files with many pages/words?

Riccardo3
Explorer | Level 3

I have lost hope, it is now impossible to work with word files, docx format. with many images, words or pages because in all three cases, on the iPad or iPhone it is not possible to view these files, you cannot see the preview, consequently all the content comes out superimposed, without an index and only with scrolling bottom, terrible display. I have done a lot of tests, the problem persists, and I have seen that this problem is common to other people and that despite this, it is never solved, despite constant reminders, and this is unfortunately very disappointing. In my case, I created a simple 80-page word file, with many images, small dimensions (since the word limit is 180 MB), in my case we are around 50 MB and despite this, you can't see the preview of the text. 'ipad. I don't know what to do anymore because if you can't even see a file with a few pages in Word there's no point in using the application anymore.

IMG_6047.PNGScreenshot 2024-07-25 alle 09.12.23.pngScreenshot 2024-07-25 alle 09.14.32.png

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @Riccardo3,

Thanks for following up here. I've brought this to the attention of our engineering team. The previously reported fix likely only fixed the viewing/previewing errors for Excel files, leaving .docx files affected. We're actively investigating. I'll provide an updates here when I have news to share.

Ben

Riccardo3
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. I hope that the problem will be solved as soon as possible, also because it is very important, especially for those, like me, who work with word files of many pages, it is really a shame that they cannot be viewed with mobile devices.

Need more support?