cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image appears to be corrupted

Image appears to be corrupted

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

for the first time I find myself managing a seemingly corrupted file synced on DropBox. It's a small, low-resolution image, fortunately not essential and also saved elsewhere. But it remains a question mark for me. I would like to understand in these cases how to proceed to recover the document.

And also, how can I find out if there are other files in my DropBox space in this state? I ask because usually these things are discovered only at the last minute, when those files are really needed. I would like to be proactive, that's why.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cloudres, so if you were able to restore the file to a previous version, that means that the file was edited at some point, for it to have a newer one.

If it was only edited once, that action is what might have caused it to be corrupted.

If you see in the version history that it's been edited more than once, I'd suggest you save a copy of the version that works and then keep restoring older versions, to find out which one caused the corruption, if that makes sense.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cloudres, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

How small is the image exactly, in terms of resolution and file size?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

It is a file of about 368 kb. The dimensions are 1826x2736. I have tried to look at the previous versions of the file, but I cannot view the preview in any case.

Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cloudres, sorry to jump in, but could you let us know how you uploaded the file in the first place?

Have you tried restoring a previous version of the file to see if you can view it then? 

Also, were you able to preview this file normally on our website before? 

Any additional information you can share is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Sure, I'll try to be as thorough as possible.

The file is contained within several subfolders. In the folder where the specific file is located, there are many other images. So it is the only file in this particular path. Obviously, the other images work.

As I mentioned, I tried to view the file from the previews that are offered during the restore of the single file, but without actually restoring it.

Of course, I tried to view the preview on both the computer and the DropBox website. Then I tried to download it, put it "online only", and download it again, but predictably nothing happened.

When I put it "online only", I noticed that DropBox tried to sync it for about an hour, repeatedly, but without obviously succeeding since it seems to be corrupt. In the end, a popup appeared in which the DropBox app informed me that the file cannot be deleted from the Mac.

One last thing. The file was added to DropBox along with many other files, by copying and pasting various folders. So the action was a copy and paste. But in any case, it is strange that everything is visible, except for this image.

What else? I think I've said everything...

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cloudres, thanks for the added info! 

After uploading the file to your account, did you ever try to preview it before, or was it the first time? 

I'm asking, because it seems this file must have been corrupted from the start. If the file wasn't able to preview online for whatever reason, but wasn't corrupt, you would be able to view it on the desktop app, or upon downloading it. 

Also, can you try restoring to one of the previous versions, just to see the results you get?  

Megan
dropbox.com/support

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

I restored the file to the first version and the problem was solved. Now I can see it normally! Thanks for supporting me. So this means that it must have become corrupted over time.

Million-dollar question: how can I prevent this from happening on more important documents?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

There isn't a specific reason why this could've occurred to this file. Since you saw the version history, were there any edits made to the file that could've corrupted it at some point?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Honestly, no changes have been made. None at all. Since the folder was copied there and uploaded online, that file has never been modified.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cloudres, so if you were able to restore the file to a previous version, that means that the file was edited at some point, for it to have a newer one.

If it was only edited once, that action is what might have caused it to be corrupted.

If you see in the version history that it's been edited more than once, I'd suggest you save a copy of the version that works and then keep restoring older versions, to find out which one caused the corruption, if that makes sense.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

djdole New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    cloudres Experienced | Level 11
What do Dropbox user levels mean?