cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view previews of online-only files on desktop (like how you can in the mobile app)? - macOS

How to view previews of online-only files on desktop (like how you can in the mobile app)? - macOS

meganh32
Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying to figure out how to see previews, specifically of .jpeg online files, on my mac desktop. I use Dropbox almost exclusively for photo management and it's frustrating not even being able to see a preview so I can figure out which files I need to download locally (I just moved from an old computer that had enough storage to download everything offline to a new computer with much less storage so almost everything is online). I can do this on my android app. All of the online-only files on the mobile app are fully previewable and I can scroll through everything before deciding what to download. Is this possible on the desktop?

165 Replies 165

CharlotteR
Collaborator | Level 8

I did nothing, it just finally started working again! For my Teams folders, on both my MacBook Pro and my Mac Studio. I guess the app might have automatically updated?

It's been soooooo long - I hope it starts working for everyone else again soon too! 🤞

FedericoP
Helpful | Level 6

Could you please check your dropbox version?

Thanks

Creneau_Admin
Helpful | Level 6

My current version is v201.4.5552 and still not working for me...

CharlotteR
Collaborator | Level 8

I have the Beta, this is my current version:

Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 6.53.25 pm.png

massimilianogrieco
Helpful | Level 6

I literally have the same version but the issue is still happening. I can't preview anything unless i make them available offline.

sos

CharlotteR
Collaborator | Level 8

Oh no 😢 I have no idea why! It just started working one day for me, about 3 weeks ago. No rhyme or reason! I didn't do anything differently. Still running Ventura on my MacBook Pro but Sonoma on my Mac Studio, so I don't think it's OS version related either.

I hope it starts working for you (and everyone else) again soon!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CharlotteR Collaborator | Level 8
    massimilianogrieco Helpful | Level 6
    Creneau_Admin Helpful | Level 6
    FedericoP Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?