cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix the conflict with Windows 11 that doesn't allow video thumbnail previews to be shown

Fix the conflict with Windows 11 that doesn't allow video thumbnail previews to be shown

Gord2
Explorer | Level 3

I have a very frustrating issue where my video files that have been downloaded in my dropbox folder do not show preview icons in windows explorer, it just shows a generic program logo.  It makes it very difficult/essentially impossible to review them because you have to open each video to see what it is.  It happened in the most recent update of Windows 11.  

I emailed the help desk and they said that Dropbox was aware of the issue, and were monitoring it, but because it was a conflict with "third party" software they weren't responsible for it and weren't sure if the engineering team would fix it.  They suggested using "online only" access where the thumbnails still work, but this isn't practical for two reasons.  First, it's impractical to download a video each time you need it when you are dealing with large video files you need to edit.  Second, that means you can't work offline or out of the country where data is expensive.

They work everywhere else on my computer outside of dropbox, it's just a dropbox issue.  It’s not a "third party" issue as well unless you consider Microsoft Windows "third party", but that is the operating system most dropbox users would operate on so it’s not really an option to have dropbox not work on Windows.  If dropbox doesn't work on windows nobody would use it.  I’m not using any other intermediate app to view or manage my videos. 

This does not happen with people using one drive and it wouldn't happen with apple where they are focused on this type of user. 

Please fix this issue as soon as possible!

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Gord2 - thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this with us.

I've passed your feedback on to the team internally and you can let us know if you have anything else to add.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?