cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to view previews of online-only files on desktop (like how you can in the mobile app)? - mac

How to view previews of online-only files on desktop (like how you can in the mobile app)? - macOS

meganh32
Helpful | Level 5

I'm trying to figure out how to see previews, specifically of .jpeg online files, on my mac desktop. I use Dropbox almost exclusively for photo management and it's frustrating not even being able to see a preview so I can figure out which files I need to download locally (I just moved from an old computer that had enough storage to download everything offline to a new computer with much less storage so almost everything is online). I can do this on my android app. All of the online-only files on the mobile app are fully previewable and I can scroll through everything before deciding what to download. Is this possible on the desktop?

165 Replies 165

FedericoP
Helpful | Level 6

I made some tests on a Macbook Intel 2019 with Ventura OS. Nothing different than Sonoma, same problems as I saw before. I don't think that the mac's architecture can make any difference.

Now i have prepared another macbook (M1) with Monterey to do more tests.

I've tried with Dropbox File Provider, i don't understand if this is a beta version of a future stable update but actually, when you approve it for the installation by admin console, it will install on the mac the beta. I'm trying it on my Macbook, Sonoma 14.4.1 M1 Pro and it works like usual Dropbox client but when you press the spacebar for preview, this Dropbox will download the file in the mac if it is stored online. 

I don't like this behavior too much but it could be a solution for the topic's problem.

_MKT
Helpful | Level 6

Follow up - update didn't fix the issue. Also didn't break any links. In fact nothing seemed to change at all. 

Creneau_Admin
Helpful | Level 6

Same problem here with a team of designers. 

Strange thing is that not every user has this issue...

But then again, one is one too many in this case

FedericoP
Helpful | Level 6

@Creneau_Admin the problem is present on Macbooks with Ventura/Sonoma?

Currently I did some tests with the new M1 Mac as i said in the previous comment that has Monterey and the file preview problem is not present. I can see every file archived online. So something has been broken with the new operating systems. Please @Sam DBX can you check this information?

Creneau_Admin
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, these are indeed Sonoma's

Creneau_Admin
Helpful | Level 6

@Sam DBX Any update to this issue?

CharlotteR
Collaborator | Level 8

I can't believe it, but it's finally fixed for me! 🎉

Creneau_Admin
Helpful | Level 6

@CharlotteR What was the solution for you?

massimilianogrieco
Helpful | Level 6

hey @CharlotteR, can you please let us know if you did something in particular to fix the issue or if it happened automatically? and which version of DB you're using?

Thank you!

OT:
fun fact is that I've just earned the "Community Anniversary" badge from DB and this is thanks to this issue that was first reported in April 2023 and it's still going on 🙂

Klapplegate
Explorer | Level 4
What did you do differently to fix it? I have been waiting for over a year for this to be fixed.
Need more support?