cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search in Dropbox does not work

Dropbox not searchable in MacOS Ventura 13.1

ptetta
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since the recent Dropbox update, I can no longer search for files in Dropbox on my Mac.  I have been using Dropbox for over 10 years and have never had this problem before.  It's making life extremely difficult and making me think about moving entirely to Google Drive, although I don't really like Google that much.  But at least it's free, whereas I am now paying Dropbox for a less functional service than I had previously.

Does anyone know how to get this function back?

56 Replies 56

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cseow, thanks for the added info! 

Could you also provide a couple of screenshots of the behavior you described above, in order for me to have a visual of this? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sawin1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Today I had the opposite issue. I searched something within a Finder window, limited to a location outside of Dropbox (i.e. the Downloads folder) and it showed up results, that were moved to the Dropbox folder before.

Needless to say, it should have not shown those results anymore...

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 22.16.55.png

cseow
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan  here are screenshots of two finder windows - identical search; the first one is where I clicked on the "This Mac" (boxed in red) and the second is when I clicked on "DropBox" - second image - boxed in red.

Search_1.jpg

Search_2.jpg

 Hope this clarifies.

 

j4jure
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. Ever since the Dropbox update on my mac search is useless for Dropbox files. This really takes away from the "fully integrated" feel that Drobox had prior. Please let me know, if you come up with a fix.

Sugarb
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same exact issue here, unable to search within folders in DropBox, but can find files in Dropbox when I expand the search to the entire filesystem. 

Sugarb
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Edit: nevermind, actually deleting and then remaking the index worked

ptetta
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having the same problem with the search feature for dropbox files but in Mac OS Ventura 13.1

Search feature works everywhere EXCEPT dropbox on the desktop version.  I can still search when I use the online version, but I don't use that much, so it's pretty frustrating not to be able to search from my desktop anymore.  Happened as soon as I updated to the new OS.  Everything has worked fine and dandy for years and years running Dropbox on my mac.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ptetta, happy February 1st! 

Are you referring to Spotlight? Which version of the Dropbox app you have installed to the device?

Any screenshots you want to share, that demonstrate what you mentioned, and what you see when you try to search for a file, are welcome. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Mona_Protea
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem. It started after a recent update of Dropbox. There was a question if I wanted to protect my files and I accepted, because protected soundsbetter than unprotected. Then Dropbox somehow moved all files. The Dropbox icon was moved further down in the Finder menu at the same time.

Since then searches don't include files on Dropbox and that is where 99% of my files are.

I have MacOS Ventura 13.1 and Dropbox v 166.4.2920

Please help solve this!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Mona_Protea, thanks for posting here! 

Could you send me a couple of screenshots demonstrating what you see on your end, when trying to search for files?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it form there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?