cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Word template (dotx) files don't open any more

MS Word template (dotx) files don't open any more

DMcDonald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In Dropbox, I've saved MS Word template (dotx) files. I used to be able to open/download these files in MS Word (using my desktop PC) to then save as a new docx file but no longer. Why? Please advise - thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DMcDonald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Good news: DB’s Open in Word/Excel option magically reappeared this morning. Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DMcDonald, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify why you believe this is related to Dropbox? If you move the file to a non-Dropbox folder, does it open?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DMcDonald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, Jay. I believe it's related to DB because I've been able to do this for months (actually I've been using DB this way for two years) yet this week it hasn't worked from DB. (Yesterday and again today, I've had to go into my "Recycle Bin" to find a couple of previously downloaded from DB dotx files and restore them to my desktop in order to use these templates to create new docx files.) I want to continue to access/use all my saved MS Word template (dotx) files from DB because those are the most current ones. Do you have any ideas why DB would stop working properly this week and how to fix? Please advise - thanks.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DMcDonald wrote:

Do you have any ideas why DB would stop working properly this week and how to fix?

The confusing issue here is that Dropbox has nothing to do with creating documents from a Microsoft template. It's just a method of storage. You need to walk us through the exact process you're using and tell us where it's failing, including any errors that you're getting, so we'll better understand the problem.

DMcDonald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In Dropbox, I've saved MS Word/Excel files (i.e., using DB as a method of storage).

I used to be able to open them directly into MS Word/Excel (using my desktop PC). This option is no longer available to me this week.

This week the only options are:
1. Open in a new tab;
2. Word for the web [Excel for the web];
3. Google Docs [Google Sheets]; and,
4. Preview (Dropbox).

The options previously were:
1. Open in a new tab;
2. Word for the web [Excel for the web];
3. Google Docs [Google Sheets];
4. Word [Excel];
5. Preview (Dropbox); and,
6. File Explorer.

Why are there less options this week? Will these options return? Please advise - thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, so you're referring to opening files from the Dropbox website, which would then open the local app on your machine.

This article should help you to resolve this behavior, if you're not seeing those options now.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DMcDonald
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Good news: DB’s Open in Word/Excel option magically reappeared this morning. Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DMcDonald Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?