cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Approve user and also disable download option on the shared file

Downloads disabled but invited user can still download

univerzitka
Explorer | Level 3

Hello everyone 🙂 

I bought that essential license.. however, I created link for view to mp4 file I have in there in the Folder. I restricted the link so the Downloading is disabled and only people invited can access it.
I sent the link to the file, person requested access .. I aproved it by clicking on Aprove button in Notifications.
Now the video on the link is not downloadable but at the same time with clicking on Aprove a I had to Share a File which sends another email to the person. In that mail is a button: Open file. WHen they click on that it opens video but u can download it.
So this makes absolutely no sense to me and I am trying to find solution to fix this for 2 days and I wasnt able to find one.

Can u help me on this please ?

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

@univerzitka wrote:

Now the video on the link is not downloadable but at the same time with clicking on Aprove a I had to Share a File which sends another email to the person.

I'm pretty sure you're using two mutually exclusive features. You can disable downloads on a view-only shared link, but when you explicitly invite someone to a file, you're giving them the ability to add it to their Dropbox account, which means they'll be able to download it.

Don't invite them to the file. Just give them the view-only shared link.

univerzitka
Explorer | Level 3

Hii @Rich 🙂

Thanks a lot for the answer, however I want to send them links but at the same time I want to know which mail(user) is using the file so the person must authetificate somehow. 
I just want to approve the user(with its mail) to use the file I sent him. 

SO i need to send it to the person and also give the person access to see it. Bcs if I generate only the link for viewing and disable download option I can do that but they can share it with others (they cant download it but they can share it) so I want to approve the person.

Does it make sence ? 

Thank u very much 🙂  

Rich
Super User II

@univerzitka wrote:

I want to send them links but at the same time I want to know which mail(user) is using the file so the person must authetificate somehow.  

You have to decide which is more important; the ability to disable downloads, or the ability to track the usage. You can invite someone to a file with view-only access, but they'll be able to download it, or you can use a shared link to prevent downloads, but you won't be able to track the usage.

univerzitka
Explorer | Level 3

I got info from sales contact that there exist this possibility...
its strange to me that u can aprove them once u sent them the link but after that it automatically sends email from dropbox where they can download it and edit etc.. but in the same time on that link from which they requested approvel its approved and they cannot download it and edit however they got mail from dropbox where I invite them to edit the file 😄 😄 😄 😄 its really confusing for me thats this functionality is not avaible. What if u wanted to share file that u dont want to be downloaded and u want to also disable the option of sharing it with another users.. in this case u must aprove their request to the file for viewing only but in the same time dropbox sends invitation to edit the file 😄 its rly weird

univerzitka
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone 🙂 

please I am looking for an option to share a File with many users but in the same time I want to aprove their emails/accounts. I also want to Disable Download option for them. Its an video recording which they can buy for me so I can send link and they can view it. But I dont want to allow them share the video with others. 

Only option I found is that I can generate view link with Disabled option. However whenever they request access to the folder and I aprove them it automatically sends another mail that gives them Edit permission (this mail comes directly from Dropbox)...
I dont get it 🙂 

Is there any way I can solve this problem ?

Thank u very much for your help 🙂

Rich
Super User II

@univerzitka wrote:

Is there any way I can solve this problem ?

Refer to my original reply to you above.

univerzitka
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

yes but the person from Dropbox whom I was in contact told me that it possible to do. U said I have to choose but I dont want that 🙂 I need both functionalities. Thats why I am looking for someone who knows my problem.
I dont believe that this common feature is not available.. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @univerzitka, Rich is correct here, but can you give us the ticket number for the communication you had with our team member, so we can take a look?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?