cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing downloads from shared folder

Allowing downloads from shared folder

cmart6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I don't see an answer or help instructions on the most basic of all uses of Dropbox: how to allow a Dropbox or non-Dropbox user to download from one's shared folder.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@cmart6 wrote:
I don't see an answer or help instructions on the most basic of all uses of Dropbox: how to allow a Dropbox or non-Dropbox user to download from one's shared folder.

Hello, @cmart6...

Unfortunately, non-Dropbox users cannot access a Shared Folder (collaborative), at minimum, a Basic account is required.  However, I recommend that you try using a shared link instead.

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).  This method works for non-Dropbox users meaning they do not need an account to view or download files.

In order for you to see how this works, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients.  Please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

FYI:  You'll notice that there's a DOWNLOAD button in the upper right-hand corner when using the web interface to view my example folder.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).  In addition, you cannot edit or delete any of those files.

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

FREE DROPBOX MEMBERS SHOULD BE AWARE:

• There are 20 GB bandwidth limitations set per day.  This means that every file, photo or video that's viewed and/or downloaded counts against your daily allotment.
  • EXAMPLE:  You share a link to a 500 MB video (0.5 GB) and it's viewed 40 times in less than 24 hours, then your 20 GB bandwidth limit for a free Dropbox account has been attained (your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files).
  • Keep in mind that if you share a link with people who in turn shares the link with their friends, especially via social media, then your bandwidth limit could be reached in an hour (not hours).
  • Upgrading to a Plus account will remove the daily 20 GB restriction and will increase it to 200 GB.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
If they are apart of the shared folder downloading is an explicit part of this - they just can.

You do not need to allow it at all. In fact the opposite is true in that there is no way to not allow it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@cmart6 wrote:

Hello, @cmart6...

Unfortunately, non-Dropbox users cannot access a Shared Folder (collaborative), at minimum, a Basic account is required.  However, I recommend that you try using a shared link instead.

I realize that it's hard to know for sure how sharing a link to folders/files will appear to your participants (especially when testing folders/files in your account vs another person's).  This method works for non-Dropbox users meaning they do not need an account to view or download files.

In order for you to see how this works, I make it possible for you to test-drive how sharing a link is viewed by YOUR recipients.  Please feel free to explore my example folder below.

PLEASE NOTE:  If you want to have the same experience as a non-Dropbox user then you should sign out of your Dropbox account or use a different browser.

> SHARING A DROPBOX SUB FOLDER LINK EXAMPLE:

The image below shows you the hierarchy of my example for sharing a LINK to a sub folder that only allows the recipient to view the ExampleSubFolder's contents.

FYI:  You'll notice that there's a DOWNLOAD button in the upper right-hand corner when using the web interface to view my example folder.

Sharing a LINK to a Folder/File in my sub folder example does not give you access to the parent folder (zz.Example2) or its other sub folder (ExampleSubFolder2).  In addition, you cannot edit or delete any of those files.

Depending upon how your folders/files are arranged within your Dropbox account:

1. You may have to create a new parent or sub folder.
  2. Then copy/move your files to that folder in order to control what your recipients can view or download.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

FREE DROPBOX MEMBERS SHOULD BE AWARE:

• There are 20 GB bandwidth limitations set per day.  This means that every file, photo or video that's viewed and/or downloaded counts against your daily allotment.
  • EXAMPLE:  You share a link to a 500 MB video (0.5 GB) and it's viewed 40 times in less than 24 hours, then your 20 GB bandwidth limit for a free Dropbox account has been attained (your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files).
  • Keep in mind that if you share a link with people who in turn shares the link with their friends, especially via social media, then your bandwidth limit could be reached in an hour (not hours).
  • Upgrading to a Plus account will remove the daily 20 GB restriction and will increase it to 200 GB.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@cmart6 wrote:
How to allow a non-Dropbox user to download from one's shared folder.

Hello, @cmart6...

Thank you for marking my post as a solution :white_check_mark: - much obliged.  I'm glad that you found it helpful.

cmart6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@310EI wrote:

@cmart6 wrote:
How to allow a non-Dropbox user to download from one's shared folder.

Hello, @cmart6...

Thank you for marking my post as a solution :white_check_mark: - much obliged.  I'm glad that you found it helpful.

Both your and Mark's answer included instructions on how to allow another person to download a file in a shared Dropbox folder. The instructions required the installation of Dropbox program on the desktop computer. Is that necessary for both the Dropbox account holder and the person seeking to download the file? (I have a Dropbox account but online only.)

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Nope it isnt at all - you can do all of it via the website.

You just need to remember if its a collaborative share to upload the changes back after its been worked on

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cmart6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I was not thinking of any kind of collaboration. I just want to allow 1 party to download a file in a shared folder in my Dropbox account.
Instructions: "Create a shared link if you want anyone to be able to click a link to access your file—people don't need a Dropbox account to view your file"
But does not tell one how to create a shared link and send it to person.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to follow https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

cmart6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark wrote:

@Mark wrote:

@Mark wrote:

cmart6
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have read those instructions before but they don't tell you how to generate the link or send it to someone.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    cmart6 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?