cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After changing to Business my files have disappeared. What is happening?

After changing to Business my files have disappeared. What is happening?

omers47
Explorer | Level 3

hi i had the free business trial plan, and i had the backup to dropbox option on, i canceled my plan and upgrade to essential plan, when i reopened my macbook all of the files from my desktop disappeared and moved to a folder called "my files in dropbox"first of all i dont know if it safe to bring back the files simply by dragging them back, i tried to download the files from the site but got an error message saying its to much to download and extract zips, second problem i have is key apps im used to are not opening now, especially adobe apps like illustrator, when i try to open it asks me for 90 gb of ram to open and it crushing my computer, it also happening in other apps that crushing. it is all ever since i changed the plans last morning, oh and another thing, the "support" service, like what the F is this bot festival, im 24 hours shut down, unable to work, and im fighting the bots for hours but no success and no matter what they wont transfer me to a real person, im so so upset about dropbox they literally ruined my 3k pc and my life work and wont even send a human to tell me what to do... such a bad policy to have in such a big company. 
if anyone have any idea or solution to this i will be forever grateful! i really need this computer to work and provide my family but dropbox bots dont seem to care to much... 

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @omers47, let's jump right into this! 

Would you mind clarifying your Dropbox subscription at the moment? 

Now as for the "My files in Dropbox" folder, it sounds like you enabled the Backup feature on your Dropbox application. What do you see when visiting your Backup page online? Is the feature still enabled? 

In regards to the third party-apps that you're having problems with, would you mind sending over some screenshots in order for me to have a clear visual? Did this behavior start happening when you changed your Dropbox plan? 

Lastly, in regards to your Support options: you should be able to have the ability to chat and possibly also call our Support if you're using a Dropbox Team at the moment. You can see more about this here.

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

omers47
Explorer | Level 3

hi first of all thank you, i had a buisness free trial and switched to the essential(i paid but it still on trial technically because of first month free promo), when i restarted my pc all of the files were displaced, i have 2 folders for each desktop, downloads and documents, the new folders are the folders my pc is opening now as the main folders, each one of them is empty except for 1 white link to the dropbox files, in the new documents folder link things doesnt make any sense and i think thats why my third party apps are not working, i really want to start dragging files and folders back to there place but it make sense that it could cause a lot of new problems, i dont understand the meaning of this duplication folders, my files are still on the computer in their old files i just dont understand how to reset this chaos, i will add all the screenshots i have i hope you understand me and my problem(sorry for my english)Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 23.40.02.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.05.54.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.07.03.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.07.16.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 at 14.07.27.pngScreenshot 2024-08-07 at 14.27.01.pngScreenshot 2024-08-07 at 14.27.08.pngScreenshot 2024-08-07 at 14.36.58.pngScreenshot 2024-08-07 at 14.37.20.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @omers47, thanks for the added info! 

Have you tried following these steps in order to move the content back to their original paths, by any chance? 

If not, feel free to give it a go and let me know how it goes. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

omers47
Explorer | Level 3

thank you i will try that, im kind of scarred though... you sure its safe?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

You can always keep a copy of your content in an external drive if you're feeling unsure @omers47

Give it a go, and let me know of the results. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    omers47 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?