cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search questions

Search questions

HarryZ
Explorer | Level 3

Aloha. Not sure if I'm putting this in the correct group, please help me redirect if this needs to go someplace else.

I have two questions about Search. I'm running the Dropbox mobile app for Android V384.2.2 on a Samsung S7 FE tablet with Android 14. 

1) Some of the places I use my tablet there is no internet. If I try to search for something, I get a 'no internet' notice. I can connect to my phone's hotspot, but I'd prefer not to. All the files I want to search have the 'Make available offline' feature enabled. Do I really need to have an internet connection to search? Or, hopefully, is there a setting so that I don't have to be connected to the internet

2) Is there a search index feature the I can enable to improve search performance. Some of the folders I want to search have many files and it takes a while to get a result. I'd love to have a pre-built search index that runs in the background to help speed up searches.

Mahalo (thank you!)  Harry Z

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HarryZ, I hope you're doing well!

First of all, thanks for all the added info in regards to your OS and Dropbox version.

Have you tried searching for files that are available offline on your mobile device, by following these steps?

First, open the Dropbox mobile app. Then tap the Account tab and click Offline. This will show you a list of all your offline files and folders.

These files will have an offline icon (a white downward-facing arrow in a green circle) next to them in your file or folder list. You can then use the search function within this list to find specific offline files.

As for your second request, I'm afraid we don't have something relevant. In any case, I'll forward your feedback to the appropriate areas so we can continue to improve.

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

HarryZ
Explorer | Level 3

Aloha Megan,

First, my apologies for taking so long to respond. And, unfortunately, I still need help.

When I go to the 'Account' page, there is no "Offline" selection. I do find a 'Manage offline files' selection, but going there and doing a search still gets me the 'no internet' error.

Let me know what to try next.

Mahalo, Harry Z

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @HarryZ, the search feature will only work if you're online, as it would search your account itself, not the files on your phone.

If you access the Account tab and scroll down, is there definitely no section called 'Manage offline files' near the bottom? Could you attach a screenshot showing this, while hiding any email addresses?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HarryZ
Explorer | Level 3

Aloha Jay,

As I mentioned in my previous update, I do see a 'Manage Offline Files' selection. (See attachment). But searching there still gets me the no internet error message.

Not being able to search my offline files is a BIG problem for me. There are over 2000 files in one of my directories.  Using the hot spot on my phone is rather slow. 

IMO, if you're offline, then the search should be done against your offline files. (Maybe throw up a message box informing the user that the search is limited to offline files). 

Lastly, though I don't think this makes a difference, this is on a tablet, not a phone.

Mahalo, Harry Z

Screenshot_20240807_192811_Dropbox.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @HarryZ, thanks for the added info! 

Manage offline files should be your offline content when using the mobile app. 

As for searching: your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product.

Thank you!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    HarryZ Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?