cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why the dropbox constantly make my files online-only even if I make them local

Why the Dropbox constantly makes my files online-only even if I make them local?

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

Recently, I found that after I make some files locally, if I leave it aside like 10-20 minutes, I will find them online-only again. It is quite frustrating because it means that I have to constantly make things local in order to work on it. I checked my preference on Sync, it sets "available offline" for new files. I suspect, is there something called smart sync, which automatically make files online once your local storage is low? But this happens when my computer still have 260GB storage. So it's just weird.

14 Replies 14

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Leo289, could you try instead right clicking the file and choosing Make available offline and let us know if you experience this issue on those files as well?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Leo289
Explorer | Level 3

So far, with "Make available offline", the issue doesn't appear. It seems the green tick is a guarantee. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, Leo! It looks like this is the cause of the issue. To make your files local on the desktop app, you need to right click on them directly and select the relevant option from the menu. Clicking on the cloud icon isn’t what we generally recommend in order to do this.

If the issue arises again though, let us know.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ginodimeo
Helpful | Level 7

This has been a massive bugbear for me too since the Dropbox update after Ventura. And the inability to stop the process of making files available offline if you accidentally click the icon, which was possible beforehand.

ginodimeo
Helpful | Level 7

By the way, the right-click solution doesn't work for me – if you do this with a folder it doesn't make the contents online, so the only solution is to click the cloud icon. But to say that Dropbox don't recommend doing this is weak – just fix it. People have been complaining about the numerous bugs on the post-Ventura Mac update from the the get-go. It's incredibly frustrating.

Need more support?