cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm being asked to upgrade but I have plenty of free space (including shared files)?

I'm being asked to upgrade but I have plenty of free space (including shared files)?

ruth eco
New member | Level 2

I've just signed up and someone has shared a folder with me. But when I try to access it, Dropbox keeps asking me to upgrade.

The shared folder is not very big - nowhere near 2G. So I'm not sure wha the problem is. Please advise.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@ruth eco wrote:

I've just signed up and someone has shared a folder with me. But when I try to access it, Dropbox keeps asking me to upgrade.

If you're trying to join a shared folder and Dropbox is saying that you need to upgrade, then the folder is larger than the space you have available. I would check with the owner of the folder and ask them to confirm its size.

ruth eco
New member | Level 2

It's 300mb roughly - well below the 2G limit. My account is showing 0 used space and I have no back-ups either. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ruth eco, sorry to jump in here. 

In this case, can you send me a screenshot of this folder’s size (or perhaps, you can ask from the owner to send you its size in a screenshot)? 

I’d also like a screenshot of the error message you keep receiving on your end.

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ruth eco
New member | Level 2

Error message and account storage info below. The folder size would not come up. On dropbox, under the Size column, all the folders show as "--" . And the same goes for right click > get info on the shared folder inside the files on the computer... but I am certain that the folder is well below 2G. The largest file is a video which is 250mb. Then a handfull of word/pdf documents. So you will just have to take my word for it that it is below the limit.

Perhaps this is the issue... The file size is not registering with dropbox so by default it is kicking me to upgrade?

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 15.46.54.png

 

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 15.47.26.png

 

Rich
Super User II

@ruth eco wrote:

On dropbox, under the Size column, all the folders show as "--" . 

Folder sizes are not shown by default. After displaying the Size column you need to select a folder and calculate its size.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ruth eco New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?