cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching emails on an acount

Switching emails on an acount

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

We have an employee who had set up their Dropbox account using a gmail and not our company email account (Outlook). How do they switch the account to their company email? Will this cause any issues with access tied to the account and gmail?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rebecca16 wrote:

How do they switch the account to their company email? Will this cause any issues with access tied to the account and gmail?

If it's a personal account, they can go into their account settings and easily update their email address. If the account is part of a Business team account, the team admin can do it for the member. It won't cause any issues with access or Gmail.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rebecca16 wrote:

How do they switch the account to their company email? Will this cause any issues with access tied to the account and gmail?

If it's a personal account, they can go into their account settings and easily update their email address. If the account is part of a Business team account, the team admin can do it for the member. It won't cause any issues with access or Gmail.

David_Green
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same question regarding both Team members and external users who have been given access to certain folders in our nonprofit's account. Do I have to re-invite their new email address to all of the folders that they can access through their old email, then remove their old email address from those folders, or is there a way to just update their email address and retain their folders access?  E.g., we have a bunch of people working on fundraising event committees or project planning committees who are outside our organization but need to access folders and files for those events or projects.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@David_Green wrote:

Do I have to re-invite their new email address to all of the folders that they can access through their old email, then remove their old email address from those folders ...

No. Access is tied to their account; not their email address.

David_Green
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What if they don't have a Dropbox account but just access the folder or files via a link to the web interface that I sent to them?  There appears to be no way for me as Admin to update their email address to use a new one.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @David_Green - sorry to jump in here, but I wanted to mention that if your collaborators access the folders or files via a shared link, they'll be able to access the files or folders your links point to since their access won't be linked to a Dropbox account when accessing a shared link with view only rights. 

For shared folders and/or team members, their email addresses should be updated once they change their account's settings with their new emails. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

David_Green
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, Walter.  My other concern was that when files are updated or new files are added to the folder, they would not get any notification of that since their new email address would not be tied to that folder or file. I would assume that the notifications would still go to their old email address - or would they even get a notification of changes if all they had was the shared link to a Dropbox folder?

David G.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@David_Green wrote:

My other concern was that when files are updated or new files are added to the folder, they would not get any notification of that since their new email address would not be tied to that folder or file.

Again, everything is account based. Notifications for a shared folder, when sent, are sent to whichever email is listed on the account. If it's a shared link, they won't receive a notification at all as changing the content of a shared link doesn't send a notification.

David_Green
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

OK, thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

David_Green Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?