cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We don't have access to an old device, so we can't receive the 6-digit code to log in.

We don't have access to an old device, so we can't receive the 6-digit code to log in.

JohannaPatterson
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I have two accounts.  On my work account, (user name [removed]) I am unable to login to my account.  I know the email and the password, but do not have access to the very old device that dropbox is sending the 6 digit code to.  It says that it was last used 6 years ago.  We no longer have that device.  I need to have the code sent to a current device.  I have been trying to solve this problem for four days now and it is very very very inconvenient for our business.  I am BEGGING to have someone contact me to give me some kind of resolution.  I have been SO disappointed in dropbox's inability to help me to this point. 

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@JohannaPatterson wrote:

I know the email and the password, but do not have access to the very old device that dropbox is sending the 6 digit code to.  ... We no longer have that device.

If this is a two-step verification code being sent to a device, then the only way to bypass it would be to use the emergency backup codes that were given when two-step verification was enabled. Without them or the original device, it's not possible to access the account.

If this is just a one-time security code being sent to an email address, then you would need access to the email address associated with the account before you can access the account. Dropbox will send these codes if they detect a suspicious log in attempt of if they don't recognize the device you're signing in from.

In the case of a one-time security code, you MAY be able to gain access to the account if you contact Support, though it's usually unlikely.

Top contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

JohannaPatterson
New member | Level 2

So here is what happened.  My predecessor set up this account.  She no longer works at our company and her laptop is long gone.  Are you to tell me, that since her ipod is long gone and in a landfill, we are unable to access our company files.  I know that it can be updated AFTER i log in.  So can you just log in and change the text for security?  I'm happy to give you my office number or an office device for security purposes.  This is just ridiculous. It can be done.  What you're saying is that dropbox is just unwilling to do this for me? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@JohannaPatterson, to be 100% sure what type of code you’re receiving and guide you from there, I’d like a screenshot of what you see exactly when trying to sign in to the account. Just make sure to remove any personal info before posting it here. 

You can attach it in this thread with this button: 

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    JohannaPatterson New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?