cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No access to email, in order to access 6-digit code.

No access to email, in order to access 6-digit code.

Martin A
New member | Level 2

Hello,
Long story short; I can't get into my dropbox user.

On dropbox I need a 6-digit code to log in, even though I know the password of the dropbox user, but unfortunately this is sent to my email address which is no longer possible to access. This means that even though I know the password for both e-mail and dropbox (which I had access to until a few months ago, but which I suddenly can no longer access). The reason for this is simple; the user was created over 10 years ago with an email address that was only used as a backup address with gmail. I no longer have access to this because it has received 2-step verification that does not work. Unfortunately, it is impossible to get in touch with customer service on Google.

My Dropbox folders have great sentimental value because they contain a collection of photos. I have tried to get in touch with the dropbox service team, but it doesn't look like this is possible either. Please help me to access my files. It would be a great loss for me if these pictures were lost.

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

@Martin A wrote:

I have tried to get in touch with the dropbox service team, but it doesn't look like this is possible either. Please help me to access my files. It would be a great loss for me if these pictures were lost.

These are the only people who can help I'm afraid. 

You need to log a ticket via www.dropbox.com/support for help, but, note that it is often unlikely you can gain access without access to the email. 

The other issue is that if its 12+ months since last log on Dropbox will have wiped your data which is unrecoverable unfortunately. 

https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/email-about-inactive-account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Martin A
New member | Level 2

I don't remember exacly when I last logged into the account, but I don't think it's more than 12+ months. However, I've never had to use 6-digit number before, so this came as a big surprise. I've used the account from time to time for more than 10 years without having trouble with this …

Mark
Super User II

It usually appears when you are logging on at a new network or as a security check. 

The only people who can possibly help, I'm afraid are support. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Martin A New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?