cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help resetting password - 2FA set up without consent

Need help resetting password - 2FA set up without consent

AM12399
New member | Level 2

I have a client that urgently needs assistance on resetting the password of their Dropbox account. Someone has compromised their account and set up two-factor authentication without their consent. They are unable to access the account because they don't have the 2FA code. Is there a way to reset the password without needing the authentication code? Unfortunately, there is no phone number or live chat available for immediate support. I have submitted a support ticket, but the response time is 1-2 business days, and we need to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@AM12399 wrote:

Someone has compromised their account and set up two-factor authentication without their consent.

Is this a two-factor code being sent to a phone or other authentication device, or is it sending a one-time security code to an email address? I ask because Dropbox will often send a one-time security code to the email address on the account. This isn't the same as the two-factor authentication feature which can be enabled.

Is there a way to reset the password without needing the authentication code?

No, there isn't.

I have submitted a support ticket, but the response time is 1-2 business days, and we need to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

You can reply here with the ticket number and a Dropbox may be able to check the status of the ticket for you. Otherwise, you need to wait for Support to get back to you.

AM12399
New member | Level 2

It is a two-factor authentication code that Dropbox is looking for that my client did not set up. The ticket number is #24285419.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @AM12399, thanks for posting here! 

I was able to locate your ticket, and I've pinged our Team about it. Hang tight, and someone will be with you shortly. 

Thank you for your patience! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mark
Super User II

@AM12399 wrote:

I have submitted a support ticket, but the response time is 1-2 business days, and we need to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Paid user support is usually quite quick so fingers - I had some replies within an hour or 2 on Friday. However, free users is (rightly) substantially longer. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    AM12399 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?