cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My existing Dropbox account disappeared along with all of my files.

My existing Dropbox account disappeared along with all of my files.

Lettuce1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello I experienced a really strange thing today- Dropbox disappeared from all my devices bar my iPhone where it says ‘signing out’. When I try to sign in from the web my account has gone from a plus one to a basic one with no files on (I had masses on before) . It’s like someone has wiped my account out. I can’t even access support as I thinks I have a basic account with no files. I hope someone can help!

17 Replies 17

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lettuce1! This sounds a bit unexpected indeed, but let’s take a look.

When signing back in again, did you use a different email address/an email address with a typo, by any chance? Do you have more than one email addresses? I’d like to make sure you haven’t set up a new separate Dropbox account, as it sounds like a possibility here.

You can also check the Events page of the account you're logged in to see if there's any past activity or if it's brand new.

Finally, I'd like you to double check any email addresses you may have and see if you can locate past emails from Dropbox there.

Let me know what you find.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lettuce1
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Nancy

Thankyou for your reply. No it’s the same and only email address on the account and the same as the one in my emails. I have several emails to that address from Dropbox including the upgrade to Dropbox plus.
Thanks

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying that. Was your Dropbox account previously part of a Dropbox team? If yes, is it possible your admin deleted it to remove you from team member?

If you check your recent Dropbox emails, do you see something that could explain the situation?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Lettuce1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi- no not part of a team. And nothing in recent dropbox emails to explain it. I have found on my computers dropbox folders (one called 'Dropbox(old)' and another simply 'Dropbox'. These have all my files on there although unfortunately mostly unreadable as they were online only. So something or someone has done something to the account and the files have been put on my machines. Unfortunately I'm completely stuck on trying to access the files that weren't online only and it seems dropbox thinks my account is only a day old and empty, and a basic package.

Lettuce1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy

I remember now that a file appeared in my dropbox that I didn't recognise. I thought my wife may have put it there, so I opened it but quickly thought better of it and closed then deleted it. It was a few hours after that  when I found dropbox was deleted from all my devices. I later found it had added all my files (although 90% are read only so empty) to my devices in a folder.

When I tried logging back in it wouldn't give me the option to put a password in with my existing email address so I tried the only option it gave me which was of signing up. I put in my existing password and same email address as before.  I now seem to have an empty and basic account ( it was previously a plus account and I have emails to prove the upgrade etc). The worst thing is I now have no way of contacting support as they believe I have a basic account, so at the moment I am completely stuck and have lost a lot of valuable info which I thought was backed up for 30 days with my plus account.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info, @Lettuce1. This sounds a bit strange, indeed. 

Even if you’re on Basic, you can still contact our support team this way. Feel free to send me your ticket number here afterwards, and I can leave an internal note, too.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Lettuce1
Explorer | Level 3

I had a file appeared in my dropbox that I didn't recognise. I thought my wife may have put it there, so I opened it but quickly thought better of it and closed then deleted it. It was a few hours after that  when I found dropbox was deleted from all my devices. I later found it had added all my files (although 90% are read only so empty) to my devices in a folder.

When I tried logging back in it wouldn't give me the option to put a password in with my existing email address so I tried the only option it gave me which was of signing up. I put in my existing password and same email address as before.  I now seem to have an empty and basic account ( it was previously a plus account and I have emails to prove the upgrade etc).

I now have no way of contacting support as they believe I have a basic account, so at the moment I am completely stuck and have lost a lot of valuable info which I thought was backed up for 30 days with my plus account.  

Does anyone know how I can contact support on this?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lettuce1, let me also jump in here! 

Let's try one more thing. Since you had an upgraded account, you can try using our self-serve look-up tool in order to check if the email address behind the charge is the same one you used on your end, when accessing your account.

Want to give it a go? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Lettuce1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan

I tried that and it says 'Can’t locate transaction ID, please submit a Billing Help request.' 

Wondering what to try next?

Thanks

C

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    joe710 New member | Level 2
    Lettuce1 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?