cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the email: em-s.dropbox.com legitimate? [Answer: Yes]

Is the email: em-s.dropbox.com legitimate? [Answer: Yes]

Graham-7
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have received an e-mail telling me of a new document available for me in Dropbox. The e-mail is from an address that ends with " em-s.dropbox.com ". Can anybody confirm that " em-s. " is a valid adjunct to " dropbox.com ", or is it sooner a trick?

Thank you.

122 Replies 122

Xx44
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Got the same email but saw this article which seems to contradict your confirmation that it is a DropBox domain…

https://legitvsscam.com/no-replyem-s-dropbox-com-scam/

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Njl7, let's jump right into this! 

Is the email you received from the no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com email address? If so, then keep in mind it's indeed an official Dropbox domain. You can see more about this here

Now as for the Backups: what do you see when you visit your Backup page online? Are the external hard drives there? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Njl7
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

I am communicating with someone via the Facebook Messages thing.  Is that you??

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Njl7, if you're already in contact with someone over social media, (Facebook Messages), I would suggest referring back to them, so we can keep all the info relevant to your case in the same place.

Otherwise, you can let us know more about your issue, so we can continue here, on this Community thread.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

chrogers2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I rarely use Dropbox. I recently got a suspicious email from "Dropbox". It is from

no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com.

And they say I have got a shared file waiting for me.

I'm afraid to click on it due to possible virus. Who should I send this to?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @chrogers2000, I've merged you to this post to keep similar queries together. Please read this post for more info.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

madcopy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I just received an email, purportedly from Dropbox although I'm inclined to think it's a scam. However, after browsing through the forum, I noticed others with more or less the same complaint and getting replies (whether from Dropbox or just superusers answering questions, I don't know) that attempt to justify email marketing content that is clearly awful, based on a fear strategy. I'll paste the full communication of what I received (mind you, this is the first email I've gotten from Dropbox except for the ones they sent when I signed up):

Subject line: 
Eligibility confirmed: username, you'll lose access to your files if you don't act soon!

Email Content:
Notice: Your files are about to stop syncing, username.
Here's access to up to up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space.

There's limited space available in your Dropbox. Even adding just one more file might stop your account from syncing and being able to access them when you need to.
View your account 

As a professional copywriter, I can assure you that NO ONE appreciates receiving an email with the above subject line, no matter the offer. The email content is hardly any better, with its pushy sales tactic. If this came from an ad agency's creative team, I suggest dropping them immediately. This is low-class scaremongering and scammer-level writing. It even has a grammatical error (to up to up to).

Marketing emails are effectively a knock on someone's door. A business shouldn't be knocking with THAT (a threat, basically) if it hopes to get people to open their virtual door and act welcoming. Honestly, I'm surprised at the terrible communication, as Dropbox is a pretty good service overall. I'd hate to see it ruin the goodwill it has managed to accumulate due to bad email marketing. Sadly, oftentimes a single misstep can wreck a record of sound decisions ("I'm telling YOU. RIGHT. NOW. ... That [profanity removed] is NOT real!"). ‌🤣

Marketing emails are generally trashed without a glance and it's a victory to get people to even open them. Dropbox needs to rethink its strategy and steer clear of any wording that sounds pushy or anxiety-inducing if it wants users to open emails, read, engage, and click through (email-savvy people avoid links since there's always a chance it's a phishing attempt, so maybe rethink that, too). Here's a tiny bit of help to get started (not mine and not selling anything, just something I downloaded a while ago to get some pointers): [link removed]

So, that's my long-winded way to ask... was this a phishing email? (If it was, sorry Dropbox. My bad.)

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @madcopy, welcome to our Community! 

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

It does look like a Dropbox-related email address, however you haven't clarified if it's coming from an official Dropbox domain, or not. Can you let me know more? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

madcopy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, Megan!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think it is coming from a dropbox domain. Here is the information from the email:

to: [removed per Community Guidelines]
date: Sep 8, 2023, 8:25 AM

subject: Eligibility confirmed: mad, you'll lose access to your files if you don't act soon!

mailed-by: email.dropbox.com

signed-by: dropbox.com

Don't get me wrong, I'm not frothing at the mouth or anything of the sort but 1) the style was a bit jarring 2) phishing emails get better and better at spoofing email addresses all the time, plus 3) the grammatical error (which used to be a dead giveaway for those kinds of emails but they've learned from their errors), all of it together added up as "suspicious." I did the only thing I could think to do after a Google search that led me to similar complaints posted on the forum back in 2022.

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide.

Again, thank you for your time!

GAE1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

just got this email again today on 9/10/23

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    NickKon New member | Level 2
    Nick K.19 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?