cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot access Passwords app on iOS

I can't use Dropbox Passwords on iOS - it keeps asking me to upgrade to Plus first.

mushanga
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I currently have a Dropbox basic account, however when I try to open the Passwords app on my iPhone it wants me to upgrade to Plus. My understanding is that you can still access Passwords with a Basic account. It jumps to the 'You're all set!' window however when I select 'Continue' it then reverts back to the 'Upgrade to Dropbox Plus to use Passwords' window.

Please advise.

Many thanks,

Matt
8 Replies 8

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @mushanga ,

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Quick question are you only using the app on this phone? Or have you used it on other phones too . 

Just trying to get a better idea to help you out.

mushanga
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. That is correct - this is the only phone I am using the Passwords app on. I also use it in the Safari browser on my Mac.

Thanks

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @mushanga! As a free Basic account user, you should be able to use Dropbox Passwords indeed on 3 devices maximum. 

Are you able to use the Passwords browser extension normally or are you receiving a similar prompt there to upgrade your Dropbox account?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mushanga
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy - yes I am able to use the Passwords browser extension on my Mac Studio in Safari without any issues.

I noticed in my Dropbox online security settings that my Mac Studio is listed as a device alongside 'Safari Mac OS' - shouldn't these be treated as one as it's the browser on the device?

Thanks

mushanga
Explorer | Level 3

I think I have resolved the issue - I noticed I was using the Passwords browser extension on a 3rd device (MacBook Air) in both Safari and Chrome browsers. I have removed those entries and can now use the Passwords app on my iPhone.

My question is - does each browser sign-in count as a single device? Or does signing into multiple browsers on one device still count as one device? If the latter, shouldn't I be able to use my Mac Studio, iPhone and MacBook Air all at the same time as this does not exceed the 3 devices maximum limit?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mushanga, each browser would count as a separate device, and each mobile app install is a separate device.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mushanga
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay - ok that makes sense now. Does an install of Dropbox desktop on a Mac also count as a separate device? Even if the browser is on the same Mac? The Passwords manager is not a local app, only a browser extension, so not sure if that would count?

Thanks for your help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Each time you 'install' the Dropbox Passwords app or extension, it's considered to be a device. So using two browsers on the same machine would be 2 devices. 

The Dropbox desktop application is separate to the Passwords app or extension, and on a Basic plan has a limit of 3 devices. Bear in mind, this also counts different computer profiles.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?