cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I prevent someone from deleting my Dropbox files, If my device is hacked?

How can I prevent someone from deleting my Dropbox files, If my device is hacked?

zaboykie
Explorer | Level 4

Hi.

If someone hacks my laptop and deletes all my files, they will be asked “Do you want to delete everywhere?”

They will surely say yes, and all my files on Dropbox are also deleted – so I have no way of recovering my files.

Please advise how Dropbox protects me from this scenario and/or what I have to do to maintain the security of my files.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@zaboykie wrote:

It would seem that unlinking from Dropbox would be the best answer, then I can relink on a daily basis to update my recent files, after which disconnect again.

This is just asking for problems. Dropbox is meant to be kept running. Not constantly disconnected and reconnected. Each time you do this Dropbox will need to re-index your files; a process that can take hours or sometimes even days depending on how much data you have.

I think this entire idea is an overreaction to something that possibly could but likely won't ever happen. And even if it a did, if your laptop is secured then it wouldn't be a problem even if it did happen, other than the loss of the computer itself.

If this is that big of a concern, securing your device will do you much better than worrying about Dropbox. Make sure you're using good security on the device itself. Biometrics, a security key, etc., for signing in. That alone would stop anyone from signing in as you and running the Dropbox application. Using BitLocker or an equivalent to encrypt your drive will make it so the drive can't be accessed directly, which prevents anyone from accessing the files in your Dropbox folder.

And failing all that, if your files were deleted from Dropbox, you have 30 or 180 days (depending on your plan) to recover them. Add that to your external drive and you're probably protected more than most people, unfortunately.

I am already using a separate hard drive, but backing up to it is a pain, as I can't find software that will only update changed and new files ...

Are you on Windows? If so, look for Microsoft's SyncToy. It was discontinued a couple of years ago but there are still downloads available out there.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

Thats something you need to do in terms of protecting your machine. So how are you stopping somebody getting on to your device in the first place? Regardless of Dropbox they'd delete your data/steal it etc. so what are you doing to mitigate that? What backups, outside of Dropbox, do you have? What antivirus/firewall etc.?

Then you can restore, for free, for 30 days or longer if paid as long as they also dont go to the website and permanently delete the data. If they do that it is NOT recoverable at all. 

You can also unlink devices from Dropbox which avoids the possibility of deletion via the website if you loose them etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LifeIsntStrange
New member | Level 2
Get an external Hard Drive/SSD and backup everything that way even if you were to be hacked no big deal.. you have a backup of your whole pc/laptop

zaboykie
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I am already using a separate hard drive, but backing up to it is a pain, as I can't find software that will only update changed and new files, so I have to copy everything! Any suggestions for software to use?

It would seem that unlinking from Dropbox would be the best answer, then I can relink on a daily basis to update my recent files, after which disconnect again.

I'll try this to see if it's as easy as it sounds???

zaboykie
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I am already using a separate hard drive, but backing up to it is a pain, as I can't find software that will only update changed and new files, so I have to copy everything! Any suggestions for software to use?

Mark
Super User II

@zaboykie wrote:

Dropbox on an external drive itself is a recipe for disaster. If the drive disconnects while running it can wipe everything remotely and then again when reconnected. Plus if you disconnect and reconnect everytime the index times are going to be horrendous. That means time without syncing while it sets everything up. Remember Dropbox is designed to replace external devices so this isnt something that is intended to work like this. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

zaboykie
Explorer | Level 4

s for the comprehensive details, but I was thinking of stopping Dropbox updates on my laptop, not an external drive.
Unless you consider my laptop as an external drive itself?

Thanks

Rich
Super User II

@zaboykie wrote:

This is just asking for problems. Dropbox is meant to be kept running. Not constantly disconnected and reconnected. Each time you do this Dropbox will need to re-index your files; a process that can take hours or sometimes even days depending on how much data you have.

I think this entire idea is an overreaction to something that possibly could but likely won't ever happen. And even if it a did, if your laptop is secured then it wouldn't be a problem even if it did happen, other than the loss of the computer itself.

If this is that big of a concern, securing your device will do you much better than worrying about Dropbox. Make sure you're using good security on the device itself. Biometrics, a security key, etc., for signing in. That alone would stop anyone from signing in as you and running the Dropbox application. Using BitLocker or an equivalent to encrypt your drive will make it so the drive can't be accessed directly, which prevents anyone from accessing the files in your Dropbox folder.

And failing all that, if your files were deleted from Dropbox, you have 30 or 180 days (depending on your plan) to recover them. Add that to your external drive and you're probably protected more than most people, unfortunately.

I am already using a separate hard drive, but backing up to it is a pain, as I can't find software that will only update changed and new files ...

Are you on Windows? If so, look for Microsoft's SyncToy. It was discontinued a couple of years ago but there are still downloads available out there.

zaboykie
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for both your patience and persistence.
Your feedback and advice is extremely useful and calms my paranoia quite a bit.
Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight after all LOL.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

zaboykie Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?