cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in getting to speak with someone, in order to access my account. No access to the email address

Help in getting to speak with someone, in order to access my account. No access to the email address

Stuck2
Explorer | Level 3

Hi - I am both a (paid) Pro and a (free) Basic customer in UK - one used for professional reasons, the other personal. 

There are account complications which the Bot is not helping me with ("Ask another question"), hence which need discussing with a live person. 

Accessing Customer Support, however, requires me to first sign in to my Pro a/c.  Therein lies the problem: I can't.

2-stage authentication involves a code being sent to my (Pro) email address, but a change in circumstances mean that email is no longer in operation.

No mobiles or other devices are linked to the a/c, and the other Bot-recommended actions - eg "sign in then immediately change email address" require me to sign in first - which I currently can't.

How do I contact someone who can help? (The redundancy of email address has caused other complications which require discussion too).

Many thanks

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@Stuck2 wrote:

2-stage authentication involves a code being sent to my (Pro) email address, but a change in circumstances mean that email is no longer in operation. No mobiles or other devices are linked to the a/c ...

Unfortunately, if you no longer have access to the email address and there are no other devices currently linked to the account, you won't be able to gain access to the account. Dropbox will help you cancel the billing so there are no future charges, but they won't provide access to the account if you're unable to receive the security information at the email address associated with your account.

Your best option at gaining access to the account is to contact the mail provider and see if they can reactivate the email address.

If you're unable to do that and need to cancel any future charges, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Stuck2
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich for your prompt reply. It looks like this a/c is therefore no longer accessible by me then, which rather changes things. (The log-in email address was deleted permanently deleted, when I retired from working).

I will now take your advise to halt future billing.

Two related (probably basic!) questions, if I may:

1.  Can others still access the relevant folders, through their own DB a/cs - even if I'm no longer able to access them? That would be my desire. (I set up them up, but other users have/had editorial rights too). If so, would that also continue once I stop paying DB for the a/c I can no longer personally use? 

2.  When I contact DP incognito, as you suggest, would you expect that route also - as well as stopping future billing - to be able to address the fact I was hit by an annual charge earlier this month (for the a/c it now turns out I can't use), without me having received any prior notification? (Presumably this notification was either sent to the email address I can no longer use, or as a notification on the a/c which I can no longer access!).

Best wishes, 

Rich
Super User II

@Stuck2 wrote:

(The log-in email address was deleted permanently deleted, when I retired from working).

If the company still exists, it should be rather easy for the IT group to recreate the email address, even temporarily, so you can receive the security code. Have you considered reaching out to them?

Can others still access the relevant folders, through their own DB a/cs - even if I'm no longer able to access them?

If you shared folders with others, they should be able to continue accessing the files. That said, they will have lost any means to manage the folder members, so it would be suggested that they start a new shared folder and move/copy the files that they need into it.

If so, would that also continue once I stop paying DB for the a/c I can no longer personally use?

Yes, but again, they should create a new folder that they can manage themselves.

... would you expect that route also ... to be able to address the fact I was hit by an annual charge earlier this month (for the a/c it now turns out I can't use), without me having received any prior notification?

That's something that only Support would be able to answer. Dropbox does send an email about a month prior to renewal, but like you said, that would have been sent to the email address you no longer have access to.

Stuck2
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again Rich.

That is encouraging as far as others accessing the folders is concerned. Sorting out their own arrangements makes sense, but at least the plug hasn't been pulled abruptly, and they have some breathing space to do so.

As for canceling billing arrangements, and followuing up my other billing queries. re-establishing my old email address temporarily is not an option. I've therefore been searching the Dropbox site as you suggested.  All "Billing" links I go to, however, ask me to first sign in - which I can't do, for the reasons you know. (Am I missing something?!) 

I have, instead, found an option to cancel so by letter - via a Dropbox Dublin address.

If you can share a relevant on-line link that I'm missing, Rich, great! Otherwise, I'll revert to hard copy letter.

Best wishes

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Stuck2, I hope you're doing well! 

I'd be more than happy to help you cancel the billing on the account you don't have access to. Can I send you an email? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stuck2
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan. Thanks for your offer. Yes please do send me an email, to the gmail address I logged into this chat with. 

Best regards ...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Stuck2, I just sent you an email, so we can continue there. 

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Stuck2
Explorer | Level 3

😀Thanks. email reply just sent

Ronny0909
New member | Level 2

Hi there, 

I am having the same issue as the user who submitted the original question. 

I need to cancel another account I have no longer got access to the email for. Can I please request assistance on cancelling the billing for this account? 

Many thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Ronny0909 New member | Level 2
    Stuck2 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?