cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is uploading and downloading files to and from Dropbox NIST compliant?

Is uploading and downloading files to and from Dropbox NIST compliant?

osiabanis
New member | Level 2

Hi there, 

We are exploring the option of collaborating through Dropbox with our client. They have the requirement that the tool we use is NIST compliant. I saw on your website that Dropbox files at rest are encrypted using 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), which is NIST compliant. On the other hand, Dropbox files in transit use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS), and your SSL/TSL servers create a secure tunnel protected by 128-bit or higher Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption, which is also NIST compliant (but some versions of SSL/TLS are not). Can you help me understand if uploading and downloading files to and from Dropbox is NIST compliant? 

Thanks! Your help is much appreciated.

Ourania

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @osiabanis, thanks for taking the time to post here.

Dropbox is NIST 800-171 compliant, which means it should cover (or even exceed) the practical requirements customers have. 

The NIST SP 800-171 R2 report for Dropbox Standard, Advanced, Enterprise and Education is integrated into the SOC 2 report, which is available upon request through our sales team or (for existing Dropbox Team customers) support.

Note: Dropbox Paper is not included in the scope of the NIST SP 800-171 R2 report. 

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@osiabanis wrote:

Can you help me understand if uploading and downloading files to and from Dropbox is NIST compliant?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @osiabanis, thanks for taking the time to post here.

Dropbox is NIST 800-171 compliant, which means it should cover (or even exceed) the practical requirements customers have. 

The NIST SP 800-171 R2 report for Dropbox Standard, Advanced, Enterprise and Education is integrated into the SOC 2 report, which is available upon request through our sales team or (for existing Dropbox Team customers) support.

Note: Dropbox Paper is not included in the scope of the NIST SP 800-171 R2 report. 

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?