cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email no longer valid for 2 step verification

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Keyonkk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can login successfully,  but needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

Before immigration, login dropbox never needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

After immigration, it needs me to check 6-digit code in email. (same computer)

My email account was disabled (long time no use and I forgot the password), I can't login to my email to check the 6-digit code.

I only want to login Dropbox without check email 6-digit code, so what can I do?

Thanks

429 Replies 429

Rich
Super User II

@gp121 wrote:

Recently, I tried to login to my Dropbox account after 2-3 years ...

Keep in mind that accounts that are idle for more than a year are deleted due to inactivity. Your original account likely no longer exists, and in trying to login again Dropbox was likely trying to create a new, empty account.

... it sent me a code to login to my email address (may be because I have 2FA authentication enabled). Unfortunately, I have no access to that email address ... How can I log in and change my email address?

That's not the standard 2FA feature. That's Dropbox not recognizing the device you're signing in from and sending a one-time security code to the email address associated with your account.

You can try contacting Support, but without access to the email address you may not be able to gain access to the Dropbox account. You need to maintain an active email address on your account so you can receive password resets and one-time security codes used during sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Mark
Super User II

@terrychu wrote:

similar issue here: email account was disabled so I couldn't receive the 6-digit code.  I have the correct account name and password, plz help me login.

You need to follow the advice already given and attempt to contact support via methods said. Note that it is unlikely you will be able to do so.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

nr5166
New member | Level 2

I have the email and the password.  I attempted to log in on same laptop that I always use.  Now all of a sudden I have to enter a 2 step verification code.  The email address is no long in existence so I can't receive the code.  I managed to get to the form that asked security questions, and I believe I answered all correctly except for one question:  year and month you signed up.  Well, that was over 15 years ago. I have NO idea what year or month.  There HAS to be a way to open this again as I desperately need some personal  legal documents that are inside the drop box.  Since I can't get the email address back again, how can I access my dropbox again?

Rich
Super User II

@nr5166 wrote:

Now all of a sudden I have to enter a 2 step verification code.  The email address is no long in existence so I can't receive the code.

You can try contacting Support, but without access to the email account you may not be able to gain access to the Dropbox account. You need to maintain an active email address on your account so you can receive password resets and one-time security codes used during sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox address, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Breeze
New member | Level 2
How can I get into my old Dropbox account when I can't get into my Gmail account for the 6 digit code

Rich
Super User II

@Breeze wrote:
How can I get into my old Dropbox account when I can't get into my Gmail account for the 6 digit code

You can try contacting Support, but without access to the email account you may not be able to gain access to the Dropbox account. You need to maintain an active email address on your account so you can receive password resets and one-time security codes used during sign in.

To contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox address, including these forums, and you'll see an option for sign in issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Also consider that if you haven't signed into the account in more than a year, it may have been deleted due to inactivity.

Hypochondriac
New member | Level 2

I had a good few basic Dropbox accounts set up under the email addresses that I never had access to or those emails did not exist. I would always be able to log into the Dropbox accounts till I took a good year away from using those Dropbox accounts. Now it requires me to receive verification codes to those emails that are basically non existant. Is there any way around this verification issue ? How can I bypass the 2 step verification process if I have no access to those email accounts ? Is there a solution at all ?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Hypochondriac, thanks for reaching out to us.

Access to the email address associated with an account is required in order to regain access, but I would suggest reaching out to our support team directly about this.

To do so, open a private browsing/incognito window on your browser, go to this page, fill out the form and submit your request.

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions, let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

leopal
New member | Level 2

I had the same problem, my university restored my e-mail account for one week, since it has been disabled because I changed to other university, but the number code never arrives.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @leopal, welcome to our Community! 

Can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Let me know more! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?