cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email service is discontinued and I cannot login

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Keyonkk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can login successfully,  but needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

Before immigration, login dropbox never needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

After immigration, it needs me to check 6-digit code in email. (same computer)

My email account was disabled (long time no use and I forgot the password), I can't login to my email to check the 6-digit code.

I only want to login Dropbox without check email 6-digit code, so what can I do?

Thanks

429 Replies 429

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Asfiya wrote:
... i can't sign in i know my email and password of dropbox account but asking for security code sent on email but now I don't have that email

Without access to the email address to receive the code, you won't be able to sign in to the account. Your best option is to contact the mail provider and see if you can get the email account reactivated, even temporarily, so you can receive the one-time security code.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Asfiya! It sounds like you're receiving the one-time security code, which is different to 2FA (2FA codes are usually sent to your mobile device, and not your email address). 

Can you currently access this email address, so that we can log a ticket for you instead? 

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ARCHIVOfis
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

But what's the idea of having a password if i need a second code from another app to login? I am sorry but i pay for a service that i can't use and i need help with that, not just "there's not much we can do".

Asfiya
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes
Currently m using this email.
And i am talking about 6 digit verification code which is asked while signing in.

Asfiya
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I also feel like there should be no code for signing in. Yessss...Security is must but we have our password for security and i have reason for this that i and my family have multiple account on dropbox but because of this we can't sign in soo like us there are how many people who is facing problem like this.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ARCHIVOfis wrote:

But what's the idea of having a password if i need a second code from another app to login?

Security. If Dropbox doesn't recognize the device you're signing in from or they believe the sign-in attempt is suspicious, they'll send a one-time security code to the email address associated with the account, and that code needs to be entered before you can sign in. It's a way to verify that the person signing in is the one in control of the user ID for the account.

Without access to the email address, which is the only method used to verify your account, there's no way to sign in. If you're on a paid account you can contact Support to cancel any future billing, but they typically will not provide access to the account.

If you want to contact Support, visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

rgcart17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cannot login to my account due to: 

1) When I provide the correct login credentials, it asks me for the 6-digit code emailed to me to finish logging in. 

2) The email associated with the account is no longer active; the email service provider is out of existence and therefore the email cannot be accessed (permanently) 

3) The only way to change me email address is to Login and change it in the settings... See "1)" as to why this is not possible. 

Drop box will not reply to the support tickets I have opened previously and they will not let me get in touch with a live representative. They still charge my subscription fee for this account too... Help? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@rgcart17 wrote:

The email associated with the account is no longer active ... They still charge my subscription fee for this account too...

If you're being sent a one-time security and you don't have access to the email address, there's no way to sign in. The only alternative is if you have another active device already linked to the account with which you can receive the code.

If you're on a paid account you can contact Support to cancel any future billing, but they typically will not provide access to the account. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

If you have an existing ticket number, reply here with it and maybe a Dropboxer can check on it. If the tickets are closed, I'd open a new one under Billing Issues as described above.

rgcart17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's actually unbelievable... I Cannot believe this service is so terrible on this issue. 

Losing access to an email is not uncommon. Not having more than a single way to do a 2nd verification is just subpar compared to most apps. Having 0 access to anything while being billed still and being told "we aren't able to do much" is just screaming "we are under staffed, under funded, and don't really care about customer retention." 

rgcart17
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have so many files and photos that are dearly important to me... There is 0 way to access an account without that email access? There is NO way to override that with a live representative or some internal support system? 

It is your own software, how is there no way to verify my identify besides emailing an email that someone is attempting to change...? A live representative would not be able to assist?

Need more support?