cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my files are missing, except one file that asks me to contact someone.

All my files are missing, except one file that asks me to contact someone.

Jon2000
Explorer | Level 3

my dropbox lost all the files, only 1 txt was left that has writing on it: All data from your dropbox has been stolen. Please contact [removed] to get all your data back.

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Jon2000 wrote:

my dropbox lost all the files, only 1 txt was left that has writing on it: All data from your dropbox has been stolen. Please contact [removed] to get all your data back.

Most likely your credentials were stolen and someone used them to gain access to your account and delete your files. If you still have access to the account you should change your password immediately, enable multifactor authentication, and review the devices and web sessions that are active on your account and remove any that you don't recognize.

You should also change your password on any other service where you've used the same credentials. This is most likely how they got your credentials in the first place. If you re-use credentials and one service becomes compromised, they can easily access any other service where those credentials were re-used.

After that you can look at possibly recovering your files. If you're on a paid plan, start with the Rewind feature. If you're not on a paid plan, use your Events and Deleted Files pages to recover your files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?