cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Trey3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,
I have looked at several threads on here and have not found a good answer. I have an old Dropbox account that I lost access to back in the beginning of 2019. I lost access to it because the email associated with it no longer exists. I also know for a fact that any device that was once logged into it also does not exist. Any of those devices would be long gone.

There is no way any activity could be associated with the account, however today I went to enter the email and password, and it still proceeded to send the 6 digit code to the email that no longer exists.

Is this a thing with inactive accounts where sometimes it will still give you the option to sign in? I’m asking because at this point I just want the files to be deleted on the account, and I am not sure if that would be the case in this situation. I am not interested in gaining access to the account. I’m just concerned about my privacy because I had sensitive documents and personal information on there, and I’m hoping that maybe Dropbox still ended up deleting files, even though the option to sign in is still there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

35 Replies 35

jensu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

thank you for your quick answer.

I have already created a new account (to be able to use the community) and could transfer the files and I'll probably end up doing this, the only thing is the new (free) account I created gives me 2GB, with the old one I had a lot more!

I would try to speak to the email provider if the data in the old dropbox was critical to me and I couldn't access it but since I still have access I am going to shift them some place else.

A pity nothing can be done about this despite still knowing my password and having a working token.

It appears there are quite a few people out there with the same issue and as a consequence a lot of dormant dropbox accounts!

Anyway, thanks again.

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My Dropbox account has been active and my computer stayed signed in, but my computer recently died.   When I got new computer, I had to resign to Dropbox, which I did, but it asks for the 6 digit code it is sending to my "old" email address, that I signed into dropbox with over 10 years ago.   That email address has not been used or been accessible for at least 7 years.    

Doesn't dropbox have my phone number that it can send a code to??    PLEASE, I must get access to my documents that I have saved in Dropbox.  

I know my user name and password, but I can't access that 6 digit code it is sending to my old email

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kwatkins08 wrote:

Doesn't dropbox have my phone number that it can send a code to??    PLEASE, I must get access to my documents that I have saved in Dropbox.  

I know my user name and password, but I can't access that 6 digit code it is sending to my old email

No, they don't. If you had another active device already signed in to the account you could receive the code there. If you don't, then the only option is to have access to the email address associated with your account. Without access to the email, there's no way to sign in to your account if it's asking for a one-time security code.

Your best option is to try getting the old email address reactivated. so you can receive the code.

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank You.   It seems nearly impossible to get someone at Comcast that is human and not computer that might be able to help me. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @kwatkins08!

If you’ve had no luck with your ESP so far, feel free to log a ticket with our support team instead by following the steps below. Perhaps, they’ll be able to do something on their end. 

1. Make sure that you are NOT signed in to ANY Dropbox account in your internet browser.
  2. Go to this page https://www.dropbox.com/support/sign-in-issues, and click on the “Can’t sign in?” option.
  3. Scroll down the page to “Submit a Help Request”.
  4. Enter your information, make sure that you enter an email address that you currently have access to, and submit it.
  5. You will then receive a confirmation email that will have a ticket number. 

After that, please send me your ticket number here.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, Nancy.   I've been unable to get any competent help from my ESP (Comcast).    I have tried to follow your instructions, but some of the prompts you have listed for me don't seem to be there.   I have sent a message with all my info and described my problem, but I'm not sure if it went to the support team where it needs to go.    If I don't get the confirmation email, I will try to send info again. 

Thanks, Kathy

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kwatkins08, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that if you reached out to our support team through this form, you should have received an email with a ticket number from our system. In  that case, you can share it with us here so that we can look it up too. 

If you haven't received this yet though, let us know here and we'll reach out via email from our end. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have not received the email you mentioned.  I feel like I'm just going in circles when I look up the sites looking for what describes my problem.  

I have talked to a person at Comcast twice now and they both tell me my old email no longer exists. [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines] Evidently they are unable to revive it.     My only hope to get the data I have saved on Dropbox is if you can help me without sending the 6 digit code to the "dead" email.  

thank you for your help

kwatkins08
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

To Walter and Nancy,

You have both reached out to me about my problem of not being able to access my Dropbox and I have attempted to do what each of you have asked me to do, but I have not received the email with the "ticket number" that you have both referred to.  Walter said , if i did not receive this , he would reach out to me by email, but this has still not happened.  

My problems started when my computer "died" and I had to get a new computer.   The new computer requires me to sign into Dropbox which I never had to do with my old one.  (I just clicked on the icon and there were my files).

I can sign in, but I am told that a 6 digit code is sent to my old email that has been inactive for many years.   Comcast has told me that email account is gone and offers no solutions to get it back.   You are my only hope to get access to my DropBox.   The spreadsheets for all expenses for my 2 rental properties is saved there.  I desperately need access to these documents.   

Please help me get access to my account!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again, Kathy!

In this case, is it OK if we log a ticket for you and send it over to the email address that’s linked to your forum profile here? Do you currently have access to it?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?